Oil spill in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good News: United States Coast Guard meeting with Philippine officials regarding potential direct assistance with oil spill.

Very Bad News: Oil spill update from today...sounds quite grim.

"Yesterday, an expert from the University of the Philippines-Marine Science Institute (UP-MSI) warned that the country’s fish supply would be affected once the oil slick reaches the Verde Island Passage (VIP).

In a radio interview, UP-MSI associate professor Irene Rodriguez said that based on the spill’s trajectory, the oil slick is heading northward with Calapan possibly receiving most of it from March 20 to 22.

“Based on our observation on the extent of the oil slick, the tanker continues to discharge oil,” said Rodriguez, adding that with the weakening of the amihan, water currents would move the oil slick toward Calapan and Puerto Galera in Oriental Mindoro and the shores of Batangas.

She said that once the oil slick reaches VIP – the body of water between the two provinces – it will immediately result in the death of marine resources at the water’s surface, including eggs, juveniles and other organisms.

“For the long-term impact, if the oil contaminates the Verde Island Passage, it will have an impact on the source of food and diversity in the area as the (VIP) is called the center of center of marine biodiversity. As the center, all the marine resources in the Verde Island Passage are concentrated and very important in our food source and the livelihood of affected residents,” Rodriguez added.

Reactions: CWK
I can't find confirmation of oil in Romblon, as the Philippine Senator was there on Romblon for a different relief effort appearance when asked by a reporter about oil spill liability. He was there delivering to very poor residents shoes, cell phones, masks, and basketballs, and encouraging healthy lifestyle options. If anyone finds confirmation of Romblon oil, please post. Why, you ask? Well, to be totally self-centered, my wife and I have deposits down at two different Romblon dive resorts for dates in a couple weeks. :wink:

Update: I contacted the Philippine Coast Guard Romblon station directly, and they confirmed that no oil has been observed around Romblon as of today (March 20). FYI.

CNN Philippines has a joint news conference ongoing about the spill on now..mostly blamecasting discussion. Not logistics.

However, CNN now also saying that on their site that Batangas City has oil showing up today. I think we can assume Verde Island, Batangas / Anilao and Puerto Galera will all be impacted at this point. Very sad turn of events. :sad2:

Also, if I find volunteer opportunities for the oil clean up in the VIP communities, I will post in this thread.

Also, if I find volunteer opportunities for the oil clean up in the VIP communities, I will post in this thread.
Please do.

This is devastating especially after the lack of tourism and diving during Covid.

Isla verde diving spots are now close to public coming from PG.

We are here since almost a week and this decision seems solid as much as we get information currently none diving operator can go diving in Verde.

Hcklo, do you know whether Anilao has been spared?

Hcklo, do you know whether Anilao has been spared?
I will be at Anilao tomorrow evening for 4 or 5 days so I"l be able to tell you more.

Currently spots around PG are open, only Verde is closed.

Info coming from our current resort in PG

That’s good news. information appreciated! Are you doing blackwater at Anilao?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom