OHHH YEA the X1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIXXERVI6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
IMAGE_013.jpg

I'VE GOT IT!!!

Finally, after sitting around getting antsy because I sold my VR3 I got the call today, my new beastie has arrived!

Big thanks out to Tiger Shark Scuba for getting me my unit in time for my next trip!!!!

You Lucky Sucker.
Man, I should have bought one of those but instead I got one of these gems !

Cool Huh ? :D

Attachments

• Rand-Computer.jpg
    Rand-Computer.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 61
You Lucky Sucker.

That picture and statement is priceless. That computer looks like it is only one step removed from EINIAC.

That was 11 years before Gordon Moore came up with Moore's Law.

That article was written the year I was born. My senior year in high school (1972) I did programming in FORTRAN on an IBM 1620 "mainframe". The main console used a cross between a teletype and a electric typewriter. The machine still used some vacuum tubes and the main memory was "core" memory.

My freshman year in college I did programming on the college IBM 360 mainframe that had progressed to the boucing ball typewriter for the main console. The prgoramming languages were RPG and COBOL.

As kind of a corrolary it is amazing ideas invented decades ago for the mainframe are getting brought back as retro/noveau ideas for the Intel platform.

IBM has the VM (Virtual Machine) operating system in the late 1970s. VMWare is now the rage on Intel servers. The VM in VMWare stands for you guessed it Virtual Machine.

Thanks for posting that. I will share it with my wife and daughter.

You Lucky Sucker.

Did you pick that up locally...I need one!!! :rofl3::D

Cool, but does that crunch VPM!?

I bet it crunches fingers real well!

PS-- the X1 is a cool unit....so small and a great back lighted screen....most early reports are upbeat on the units performance.

Its not back lighted, the pixels themselves glow

Thats what I ment....should have said screen views real well at depth...lol :mooner:

yea its pretty dang bright, I have it set to low brightness right now and I can see it just fine, this thing will glow brightly in a cave for sure, its nice not having to push a button or shine my primary light at my computer to read it. I had my VR3 set to keep the back light on constantly, one of the best features in my opinion.

yea its pretty dang bright, I have it set to low brightness right now and I can see it just fine, this thing will glow brightly in a cave for sure, its nice not having to push a button or shine my primary light at my computer to read it. I had my VR3 set to keep the back light on constantly, one of the best features in my opinion.

I understand the battery life is really good also, which is a plus for a computer or dive light...it is amazing how 'small and lite' the unit is compared to an array of other dive computers...the VR3 is heavy and semi bulky.

Back
Top Bottom