Oh no! Another accident at Molokini this morning!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, and being possibly the only one on board he could not very well jump into the water especially if he needed to maneuver the boat to retrieve the divers and crew. It was not clear to me if the DM who was injured was already on the boat or boarded and then jumped in. It's also not clear why she jumped in with a line while the propeller was engaged and why nobody tossed a life ring with a line attached. Heck, he tossed me a line with a life ring when I was with him on the backside of Molokini. I kept swimming toward the boat and was making no progress due to the current. I do not remember if he was the only crew member on the boat at the time but he may have been. From where I am sitting it looks like he had to make some decisions and he made them. Unfortunately things did not turn out well. So far I don't think I read anything that would make me decide not to dive with Scuba Shack again.

One important thing to note is that Charlie was the ONLY captain who did NOT cancel their charter that day.

I'm not trying to justify anything he did or did not do, but in response to your statement I can say that I have been in a situation where NOAA said it was a great day to go boating and it was as smooth as glass out in the San Pedro Channel and I found myself looking up and seeing water, waves crashing over the bow and trying to outrun following seas.

As far as boat captains go I did not particularly care for his demeanor and thought his behavior was a bit reckless but I'm an experienced diver and about all I expect from a dive boat is transportation to and from the dive site. Heck, you live in Kihei so even if you don't dive with him you must hear stories about him. Does he have a reputation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom