OFWF Gathering -- October 25th in Brockville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal once bubbled...
I don't believe I'm asking.... but who would like to order a t-shirt?

Due to the problems I had last time, I would require payment before the order goes in.

(You don't have to be coming the outing to order)

Probably interested in a t-shirt. Can you provide a bit of info on what they look like? Colour?

Thanks,

Diverlady

Well I usually do the gaskin as a shore dive so I would only be interested in the Lilly. My buddy and I usually drift off the wreck early and see the wall. Charter boat hopefully would pick us up on Stovin Island near the green lighthouse.

re: the daryaw and fighting currents - it is much easier to drop in the water 100 feet upstream from the wreck, drift down to it, explore it and drift off the back and shoot a bag.
We dove it yesterday and didn't fight current once during the whole dive.

I did a search (I probably should have done that before posting my question!!) and found the t-shirt thread for anyone who is interested.

t-shirts

There is a description of the shirts, colours etc. here.

Diverlady

Mabey it would be a good Idea to try to get a grasp on the cert levels of all of us planning to boat dive. Then it helps abit in planning. I like ArtW idea about drifting to the Daryaw and getting picked up but all the divers have to be comfortable with free accents. I know the 5 of us who have booked on the boat (Gadget, Wetvet, Mrs. Wetvet, Myself and my fiance) are all OWA and have lots of dives under our belt so we would have no problem with it. Sounds like a nice relaxing way to do the wreck! Same as a drop and pickup on the lilly.

The Lilly and Gaskin sound good to Mr and Mrs Duffer! We have never dove the river so any site will be a new adventure for us!! After speaking with Jymi at Above and Below, we aren't overly concerned about the Daryaw, but that will eliminate any divers that aren't AOW.

When will the decision be made as to what we will dive - prior to or on the day of?

artw once bubbled...

re: the daryaw and fighting currents - it is much easier to drop in the water 100 feet upstream from the wreck, drift down to it, explore it and drift off the back and shoot a bag.
We dove it yesterday and didn't fight current once during the whole dive.

I didn't find the current too bad yesterday either but I'm not certain everyone will be comfortable doing free descents/ascents especially for anyone who has trouble equalizing. If it takes too long to get down, it's possible divers might actually miss the wreck. For any divers that don't have a lot of experience with currents or the Daryaw, a line might be better this time around. It might also be the choice of the boat captain too since it's likely he has never taken some of us out before. (a neat idea though!)

Diverlady

I was just in contact with the charter operator.

So far 7 Freaks are booked for the Saturday and 6 for the Sunday.

We are both AOW as far as rating goes. I do not like the idea of a free descent in current for the exact reason Diverlady mentioned - I have been known to require slow descents for equalization sake!

I get the feeling more people want to stay to the "advanced" side of things. We have completed 28 dives to date (even though some have been under very tough current conditions) and still prefer the relaxed casual dive.

Maybe we will pass this time! PLEASE don't go with the easy dives that are going to bore people that are familiar with the area on our account. It sound like lots are interested and already booked so there should be a good group!!

Back
Top Bottom