OFWF Gathering -- October 25th in Brockville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverlady once bubbled...

Well, I'll do my best to answer in DivingGal's absence.

I've never been diving on the SG so I can't compare it but based on your description of the current there, you will not be in current that heavy here. I don't ever recall the "flapping in the wind" feeling on any dives here (well maybe a teeny bit on the Lilly but it's really a fun dive). If you stay on the protected side of the wreck you will probably not feel the current at all (depending on the wreck) and can swim normally. On the current-exposed side you'll probably want to hang on but you can probably swim back if you accidentally let go. I've never had any trouble on these wrecks.
We will be going up and down the line.

Wetsuit or drysuit?? Now that's the $64,000 question!! (note: I don't actually have $64,000 for anyone who answers this question) I'm hoping the water will still be warm enough for my wetsuit.

Diverlady

Please note: conditions can change day to day on the Muskie and Daryaw. I've see a experienced dive instructor with over 2000 dives get whipped along on the Muskie.

I suggest you ask Jymi at Above n Below to get the answers you might seek. He's the one that will be taking you and he's a decent bloke.

Scuba Duffer once bubbled...
Thats actually great advice TAZ, I'll give them a call and see what they say.

No problem.

Sometimes the best advice comes from the one that is the professional in that field. Jymi is a great guy and will be more than glad to assist you in any way possible.

Spoke with Jymi. He tells me the location of the dives will depend on who is on board. If there is one OW diver, then we will not be doing anything advanced like Daryaw. If we are all AOW, then we probably will do the Daryaw. He was very helpful and gave me the info I needed. You should see us on the 25th!!

Thanks to Taz and DiverLady for fielding the calls for info. I was off having fun with Isabel in Lake Ontario.

Hopefully your questions have been answered. All the sites have some current. Here's my experiences on the wrecks:

Muscallounge - some current (it can vary from very mild where you can drop down beside the line to hang onto the line until you get to the wreck), great site for fish.

Gaskin -- I have yet to experience much current here, a nice sized wreck with the hold exposed you have a very nice area to explore out of any current that you do find.

Lily Parsons -- has a current -- in fact many of the charters now do a "live" drop just west of Sparrow Island to allow you to drift onto the wreck. You then can work your way around the wreck, then drift off, ascend to around 30ft to "catch" the line at the other end of Sparrow and get back on board your charter boat.

Daryaw -- Sometimes the current is wicked, sometimes it's not. This is the one that I would not recommend taking anyone who's nervous in currents. Once down the line however, you can gain a rest either beside or under the wreck where you're protected from any current. Then you head to the stern, and drift along the keel to the line.

What I would like to recommend for the Saturday is we do the Lilly and the Gaskin.

I was just on the Lilly Parsons yesterday and there is now a mooring just up current from the wreck. We jumped in and drifted on the surface to the island and went down the wreck's anchorline. (beats hauling your stuff across the island!!) We ventured inside as far as we could go but there wasn't much to see past the stove right where you can go under. There were a couple of big fish right at the back in the dark. The drift off the end of the wreck around the island is about 4 minutes or so (it feels longer) and the tag lines are easy to get if you stay near the wall and at a depth of 30-40ft. Once you've completed your safety stop, you let got of the line and the current takes you right into the bay where the boats are waiting. My dive buddy had never done this wreck and she loved it! It's really a fun little dive.

Daryaw had some current on it yesterday but there is a line from the mooring line to the sheltered area (on the left side) and again around to the bow of the wreck. The most current I felt was when we were doing our safety stop. I agree that it is probably best not to do it if you are not comfortable with current.

I think the Lilly and the Gaskin are 2 great wrecks to plan for Saturday!

Diverlady

Accommodation:
Since a few of you are looking, or have booked there -- the Days Inn (located right off the 401) offers a 10% discount to divers. Their number: 613-342-6613

I don't believe I'm asking.... but who would like to order a t-shirt?

Due to the problems I had last time, I would require payment before the order goes in.

(You don't have to be coming the outing to order)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom