Offshore drilling bill passes house - CONTACT YOUR SENATORS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
I would support higher taxes for lower mpg vehicles.....it has to go that way...it is totally fair, IMV.

High gas prices are the best thing that could happen, painful as it is. It has changed how my family lives, because it finally pinched. The pain must correlate to the usage---reality. We still have big rigs, but we drive them about half as much. if we had smaller cars, we could drive more.--this forces people to choose, up against the brick wall of reality.

Our love for nature and fish will not stop us from driving somewhere. The need to buy groceries and medical care will.

Think about this. Everybody already pays taxes on gasoline. The more gas you use, the more you pay.

Also what about this situation: I know a guy who commutes in a Ford Excursion, just about the biggest vehicle on the road. He drives about 4 miles to work. Is a hippy driving a more fuel efficient vehicle 60 miles round-trip every day better in any way at all (around this area, not an uncommon commute distance for people who live away from Seattle)? My friend is still going to burn much less fuel in his less fuel efficient vehicle, why should he pay a tax of any kind?

altitudemike:
Good to see another guy from the "patch" oilman66. I have had it with how uninformed & misleading the media is.

Yeah, I've been watching this thread since it began and wasn't going to post on it (didn't want to get political or preachy)...but sometimes the oilfield in me can't be contained! Actually, I'm surprised with the number of people on this board who have negative thoughts about the oilfield when it's apparent that marine life swarm these structures. I've seen news crews, Discovery channel crews, politicians (some were from Florida) and various other VIP's, out here on location to take tours of the facility - all had high praises for the cleanliness of our operations, yet it still doesn't seem to make a difference in the eyes of mainstream media.

I am in favor of drilling. Let's open up ANWAR as well. Build more nuke plants !!!
It's either that or sieze the middle eastern oil fields ...

I did an interview with a local news station up here a couple years ago & was told by the reporter that good news is no news when reporting. Flowers don't sell as well as fear. I in my office right now. We just set the whipstock & are getting ready to kick off under a lake. Hope we don't drain it!! LMAO. Some locals are afraid of that.!! I had to sit through 5 public discussion meetings just to drill this well.

altitudemike:
. I in my office right now. We just set the whipstock & are getting ready to kick off under a lake. Hope we don't drain it!! LMAO. Some locals are afraid of that.!! I had to sit through 5 public discussion meetings just to drill this well.

Just keep it turn'n to the right!

Lunch is about over, time for me to get back out on the deck and resume my government required checks of safety system/environmental instrumentation.

ScubaBabe22:
First rule for ANY industry, DEMAND requires a SUPPLY. Rather than protesting against the oil rigs being built (although I can easily understand why!) why don't we support more of our tax dollars going to support the budding alternative energy sources?

I'd be happy to send my tax dollars that way. Unforunately, I'll still drive the love :sappy: of my life, my Jeep because no viable alternative has been issued in a car that fits my needs.

:shakehead :auto:

I would have to agree with you. When the gas prices went sky high people didn't do anything about it except just keep driving and driving. Everyone gripes about the oil companies, but everyone likes driving their vehicles and likes having things when they need it. We need more oil, and we need new refineries. With Supply and Demand, there will always be drilling if people always want oil. I am all for alternate resources, but until people start to make a stand, nothing will ever be done.

oilman66:
Yeah, I've been watching this thread since it began and wasn't going to post on it (didn't want to get political or preachy)...but sometimes the oilfield in me can't be contained! Actually, I'm surprised with the number of people on this board who have negative thoughts about the oilfield when it's apparent that marine life swarm these structures. I've seen news crews, Discovery channel crews, politicians (some were from Florida) and various other VIP's, out here on location to take tours of the facility - all had high praises for the cleanliness of our operations, yet it still doesn't seem to make a difference in the eyes of mainstream media.

In order to keep a vibrant economy we must have oil to use. Our country uses alot of oil. The alternative fuels are a solution..such as alcohol made from vegetables like corn, or to be more efficient sugar beets would work well (the more sugar the better).

We currently are not set up for alternative fuels. I say drill in Anwar, the gulf, salt lake and anywhere else. We need to quit giving all our fuel dollars to countries that harbor terrorists and fanatic groups that want to kill us. Meanwhile we need to set up for alternative fuels. Everyday they (terrorist countries) are receiving billions that they use to help themselves and fund those that want to kill you because you don't think like they do. Why don't people get this?

Most oil/gas companies do not veiw themself as that anymore. The new view is they are energy companies. Most are spending billions on R&D for new viable fuel sources. The understand better than most the need for alternate sources. At the end of the day they need to be accountable to shareholders. So when oil runs dry the do not close shop but have a viable solution to energy. Most are looking at wind & hydro electric. These may be keys to the future. Big oil Calgary, Alberta, Canada gets almost 40% of its energy from wind & hydro.

Back
Top Bottom