Offshore drilling bill passes house - CONTACT YOUR SENATORS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Folks folks folks.......brown water south of Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas is NOT due to oil production. It's because of this little thing called the Mississippi River!!

Fact: Yes 20+ years ago all kinds of stuff wennt overboard, they used to burn the trash, and dunk it out in the water, they would use the hand rail as a garbage can (toss it over and forget about it)

Fact: If we put drilling rigs off the coast of Fla marine debris will end up dotting the coastlines of MS, LA and TX ...ever hear of the gulf stream?

I work for a major oil company and am proud of my company's green agenda. Did you know that before anybody goes offshore they're required by the coast guard to be briefed of the laws of marine debris? It's a 30 minute video about conservation and where your garbage goes.

You guys kill me by bashing the oil companies but don't want to face the fact that we all use oil and don't want to get away from it. ....

Oh and in case you didn't know the Lease sale 180 and 180 south is way off the coast and just due south of ~Gulfport.

One last word on this and I am out. If they set the oil drilling up like they did in Alaska all the homeowners in Florida will get a small kick back at the end of the year. I think that would be good. It could offset the high property taxes that we are paying. That means more money for the locals and maybe even a little cheaper prices when the tourists come to town. See Everyone Happy!!!!

my only comment is why is it no problem to drill for oil in my back yard but not others, can you imagine the amount of oil we would loose if Louisiana and Texas no longer had oil wells. and personally i dont mind them oil companies but back money into the economy and provide structure in the form of platforms to many different marine fish

bruehlt:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060630/ap_on_go_co/offshore_drilling;_ylt=AoxYOMuQiMhWGUkdTolrGWOs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3OXIzMDMzBHNlYwM3MDM-

The house of representatives has passed a resolution allowing drilling off of the coastal shores of certain areas of the united states.

For those of you that have dove Florida, and California - you know how pristine and beautiful these areas ARE. If you have ever dove Galveston Bay, in Houston TX, you know how HARMFUL allowing this to occur can be!

Contact your senator and urge them to NOT SUPPORT this measure! Its time that we put forth efforts to look towards NEW and RENEWABLE energy resources, and stop raping this planet for minimal gains, as this would do.

You are way off base here.......As ragin'cajan said, it's from the Mississippi River, gives very shallow water west of the mouth........if that's the case, what gives the clean beautiful water we get from time to time???....I own an offshore(fishing/diving) rig & have been out beyond 30 miles well over 200 times......Try again for another reason..............

I hope that the oil companies drill the east and west coastal region full of holes and find so much oil that we won't be subordinates to the terrorist-sponsoring Muslim countries for our oil supplies. I also hope that they get approval to build at least 15 new mega-refineries and a couple dozen new nuclear electric generators so we can get off the coal and deisel fuel. But first we need to get some of the stupid environmental laws changed so we can go ahead with it. Our biggest problem is refinery capacity which has been destroyed by these domestic wacko environmental terrorists in Congress and their laws. China is drilling for oil 50 miles off the Florida coast with permission from Castro and we aren't allowed to do the same thing. SSTUUUUUPID!!!!

Drill. Drill. Drill.
Drill it all.
and if you don't hit anything...
Drill it again

Time to head off and check the rig..

What exactly is the purpose of oil inside the earth?????

How do we know what affects, taking so much or all the oil out of the earth will have on this planet?

Since oil is often used to keep engines lubricated and running cooler, Do oil basically do the same thing in the earth?? Keep things cool? keep a cushin between the rocks to help prevent large earthquakes?

Honestly, how do we know the actual affects of removing so much oil from the earth, is having on this planet????

Hopefully with all this drilling one day the earth will suddenly deflate like a balloon and we will end up whizzing through space at high speed.....

Oil and gas result from the breakdown of organic material in sedimentary basins. Its very rare (like, underlying around <0.00001% of the earths crust), localized into a few small areas, and has absolutely no purpose in its natural location. The oil sits trapped in the spaces between sandgrains in sedimentary rock.

Groundwater, which is everywhere, does have a limited role to play in thermodynamics and structural geology of the crust, particularly in near surface environments.

But no - removing oil does not effect the surrounding geology, and ground water takes up the spaces between the sand grains the oil leaves behind.

Cheers,
Rohan.

It takes alot of oil to produce ethanol, fuel for the tractor they run on diesel, pesticides,fertilizer and so on. Also ethanol has a shelve life so it can not be transported by pipeline, it has to be trucked. It has about 1/3 less the power of fosil fuel. And it takes a lot of water to produce. So it is not the answer. Don't forget oil is used in so many other products besides fuel. Plastics for our ipods and such. A small amount of oil goes to making fuel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom