Offshore drilling bill passes house - CONTACT YOUR SENATORS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Supply and demand, thats all its about. When gas hit 3 dollars i started biking more often. Now gas for the boat is another story, no matter how much it increases it is still worth the price of admission to the keys waters.

Kim:
Hmmm let's see. The US consumes around 25% of the oil that's consumed annually, China consumes 6%.....China has about 4 times as many people as the US.
http://www.marktaw.com/culture_and_media/politics/GlobalOil.html
(India's not on this list but is actually around 3%....with about 3 times as many people as the US)

Yeah right....let's blame China!

Wow, you really don't pay attention to world events. China and India's demands for oil are increasing incredibly fast.

A brief excerpt from : http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/oil.html

"Report #:DOE/EIA-0484(2006)
Release Date: June 2006
Next Release Date: June 2007

Chapter 3: World Oil Markets

In the IEO2006 reference case, world oil demand increases by 47 percent from 2003 to 2030. Non-OECD Asia, including China and India, accounts for 43 percent of the increase.

In the IEO2006 reference case, world oil demand grows from 80 million barrels per day in 2003 to 98 million barrels per day in 2015 and 118 million barrels per day in 2030. Demand increases strongly despite world oil prices that are 35 percent higher in 2025 than in last year’s outlook. Much of the growth in oil consumption is projected for the nations of non-OECD Asia, where strong economic growth is expected. Non-OECD Asia (including China and India) accounts for 43 percent of the total increase in world oil use over the projection period."

Or how about this from: http://washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20060419-093142-9219r.htm

"A new geopolitical "Great Game" is clearly unfolding as China's development-driven, rapidly rising demand for petroleum has played a significant role in soaring oil prices. The price of oil, which averaged less than $22 per barrel in 2001, has increased by about $50 per barrel since then, surpassing $70 in recent days. Over the same period, the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) reports that Chinese oil consumption has increased more than 40 percent. That increase has accounted for more than a third of the total growth in worldwide oil demand over the same period."

Yes, I agree that AT PRESENT, the U.S. still uses more crude than any other nation. But do the math. What happens when China and India, which each have more people than the U.S., get more and more modern in their capacity for consumption? How will you blame the U.S. then?

jbichsel:
See, here is another example of everything being the fault of the U.S.

I believe that the entire WORLD demand is causing prices to escalate, not just the nasty ole U.S.

no, this is an example of believing the numbers. the US consumes 20 million barrels of oil per day, more than the NEXT FIVE COUNTRIES COMBINED.

US drives oil demand worldwide. we are an incredibly oil-hungry economy.

sorry if this doesn't fit with your view of the world.

jbichsel:
Wow, you really don't pay attention to world events. China and India's demands for oil are increasing incredibly fast.
And you don't really look at actual figures apparently.

The source I quoted is taken from the CIA Fact book...specifically this page:
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/rankorder/2174rank.html

If you look at the bottom you'll see that it was updated last on 29th June 2006. Unless something happened in the last week that I don't know about I'd say I'm paying pretty good attention.

Of course the CIA could be wrong! :eyebrow:

You might also find that looking at things that are happening NOW, rather than the projections that you have quoted above apparently to make yourself feel a little better or justify stuff, or simply blame others rather than take any responsibility, might well put a different slant on it all.

Of course, as Andy so succinctly pointed out - it might not fit with your view of the world.

H2Andy:
no, this is an example of believing the numbers. the US consumes 20 million barrels of oil per day, more than the NEXT FIVE COUNTRIES COMBINED.

US drives oil demand worldwide. we are an incredibly oil-hungry economy.

sorry if this doesn't fit with your view of the world.

See my post before this of yours. I chose only to include a couple of examples. Yes, I'm believing the numbers.

then you would know why the US drives world oil prices

that's just a statement of fact, not a moral judgment

Kim:
And you don't really look at actual figures apparently.

The source I quoted is taken from the CIA Fact book...specifically this page:
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/rankorder/2174rank.html

If you look at the bottom you'll see that it was updated last on 29th June 2006. Unless something happened in the last week that I don't know about I'd say I'm paying pretty good attention.

Of course the CIA could be wrong! :eyebrow:

Go back and reread and comprehend. I never said that the U.S. uses less oil than anyone. I never made any claims that we are NOT an oil hungry nation. My statements were that we, the U.S. are not solely responsible for world wide oil demand. If you look at the ever increasing demand world wide, it is unfair to blame the U.S. alone for increased demand and cost.

Btw, BOYS and GIRLS. I PAID a GAS GUZZLERs TAX on my Porsche 911 turbo. AND IT gets 22 MPG's unless I'm driving 100 MPH! which was around $3800 if I remember correctly.

I'm all for paying my way...but thats crap! Then on top of that here in GA, North of Atlanta Gas prices are higher then in FLORIDA and TENNESSEE, and we have a state income tax and they don't.... so I'm getting hit THREE times...@ the dealer, PUMP, and April 15th.

I actually saved money buy driving to Athens TN, two hours away, to buy gas the other day, even factoring in the fuel burn coming back.. $.34 cents difference a gallon
( no I didn't drive there just for gas)

jbichsel:
If you look at the ever increasing demand world wide, it is unfair to blame the U.S. alone for increased demand and cost.

who's blaming who? this is not about blame. it's about fact.

the US is by far the biggest consumer of oil (i.e. the greatest demand
for oil is in the US), larger than the next FIVE CONSUMER COUNTRIES COMBINED.
the US produces about half the oil it consumes. the other half, the US has
to get in world markets.

yes, the US is driving world oil prices ... again, this is not a moral judgment,
just a statement of fact.

jbichsel:
Go back and reread and comprehend. I never said that the U.S. uses less oil than anyone. I never made any claims that we are NOT an oil hungry nation. My statements were that we, the U.S. are not solely responsible for world wide oil demand. If you look at the ever increasing demand world wide, it is unfair to blame the U.S. alone for increased demand and cost.
When did I blame the US alone?

You do make the claims that the rest of us shouldn't be blaming you for consuming far more per person than anyone else on the planet.

Well tough. If you don't like people telling you the simple truth and holding you responsible for how you behave then it's easy, cut back on your consumption and act like most other people have to. If you don't want to do that that's fine too....but then don't whine about everyone else pointing it out and getting on your case. You can't have it both ways - using up more than your fair share of resources and expecting no-one else to complain. When the oil is gone it's gone - for ALL of us.

Right now the price of most things is also going up for ME because of the rise in oil prices. Don't you think I have a right to look at the causal reason for that and comment on it? The US uses so much oil that it's affecting every economy in the world.

...and you're trying to shift the blame to China and India!!!!!

No...the US isn't solely responsible. They are MAINLY responsible though by a HUGE margin. Sorry if that fact pisses you off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom