Offshore drilling bill passes house - CONTACT YOUR SENATORS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbichsel:
So, given this train of thought, humans ans SUV's caused the dinosaurs to go extinct?

Everything is NOT our fault. Some things just happen.

What ever happened to Darwin's theory of natural selection for some species becoming extinct? Evidently that is not convenient when it comes to placing blame.

I think the point here is, not to "just let" the extinction of the human species happen.

The real question revoles around:

1. The 'possible' result of inaction. Please note that in the past, the world was much warmer. How can we be sure? Because if you drill under my home in Shreveport, LA., you'll find shale rock with fossilized sea shells imbedded in it. This means that at one time, salt water covered all of Louisiana. If the world continues to warm, the polor caps will melt and I can go diving off my roof. This will not be a good economic thing for the USA.

2. Can the USA reduce it's consumption without damaging the economy? When auto mileage standards were first imposed, some said it would lead to the downfall of our ecomonic system by making us uncompetitive in the world market. Didn't happen. Legislation always provides an opportunity for economic benefit to the developers of viable strategy.

To my conservative friends, better gas milage cars 'conserve' energy, improve our competitive position in the world, provide an additional technology to export, and improve the conditions under which we live and raise our children. I think this is a better solution to the problem than extracting the last gallon of oil from American reserves, because when we do, then we're 100% dependent on someones oil.

Stan

DallasNewbie:
So, if I give you alink to a webpage that says, "Some scientists refuse to acknowledge the truth that the moon landing was faked" you would draw your conclusions based on the title and not the content? Hillarious indeed.

You're funny...

Did you even read the link that YOU used as a reference. Not only does the title state there is a concensus, but the actual page declares so as well. Perhaps you should go read it.

DallasNewbie:
Had you been alive in 1206, you would have accepted all of these things as absolute fact.

Because, the scientific revolution happened in the early 1200's, right? Lots of scientific minded people doing scientific processes... hahahaha... you're funny.

DallasNewbie:
Even if there were a consensus on the cause of global warming...

Ummm... you even provided us all with evidence there is a consensus. Remember that link you provided a few posts back. Hahahaha...

DallasNewbie:
Don't tell me what a bunch of guys in lab coats believe, tell me why they believe it.

Why don't YOU do some research then. Apparently there is a consensus, as you pointed out, so I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to dig up. Of course, we should listen to you state the you're right because 11 scientists agree with you, and only a few hundred disagree with you. Obviously, you have a compelling argument.

You're funny.

- ChillyWaters

bruehlt:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060630...olrGWOs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3OXIzMDMzBHNlYwM3MDM-

The house of representatives has passed a resolution allowing drilling off of the coastal shores of certain areas of the united states.

For those of you that have dove Florida, and California - you know how pristine and beautiful these areas ARE. If you have ever dove Galveston Bay, in Houston TX, you know how HARMFUL allowing this to occur can be!

Contact your senator and urge them to NOT SUPPORT this measure! Its time that we put forth efforts to look towards NEW and RENEWABLE energy resources, and stop raping this planet for minimal gains, as this would do.
The water in Galveston and around Houston being dirty has nothing to do with drilling for oil. It's the soil content. Look at what comes out of the Mississippi river. I'm all for drilling for oil offshore. It means more good places to dive.
Bill

catherine96821:
Thanks King Solomon for a thoughtful call.

Guba, I have been following with interest the debate over whether to remove the retired rigs as is required in the oil companies original agreements. I read some opinions from devout environmental scientists that are supporting leaving them as they are such important habitats for marine life. The fear is that they don't want to set precedents for companies abandoning things in the ocean, etc.

Florida takes every abandoned/used oil rig they can get!!!!!! Wonder why????? Cousteau did a film in the 60's called "steel reefs."

I put in 45 gals of gas for my boat today and wow the price but it is worth every penny. Close to shore in about 3 feet of water saw a beautiful shark.(Islamorada)

H2Andy:
very timely article: oil hits $75 per barrel on US demand:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060705/bs_nm/markets_oil_dc_17

See, here is another example of everything being the fault of the U.S.

I believe that the entire WORLD demand is causing prices to escalate, not just the nasty ole U.S.

Why not lay some blame on China and India? Or are those country's environmental policies without flaws?

jbichsel:
See, here is another example of everything being the fault of the U.S.

I believe that the entire WORLD demand is causing prices to escalate, not just the nasty ole U.S.

Why not lay some blame on China and India? Or are those country's environmental policies without flaws?
Hmmm let's see. The US consumes around 25% of the oil that's consumed annually, China consumes 6%.....China has about 4 times as many people as the US.
http://www.marktaw.com/culture_and_media/politics/GlobalOil.html
(India's not on this list but is actually around 3%....with about 3 times as many people as the US)

Yeah right....let's blame China!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom