offbeat fin question (and feet)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kravi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks :) It's almost one of those millions of "what gear should I get" questions, but not quite.

I've been snorkling since I was 5. Mostly carribean, red sea, and a bit in the med. Over the past 4 years I've noticed my feat acting up. I run, jog, do martial arts, whatever with no problem. But I strap on skis or ice-skates and my feat cramp up. Within a few minutes. I take them off, and within an hour or two they are fine and I can go jogging.

Well, I was down at key west a little bit ago (snorkling) and my feet got a little crampy. Not a game stopper, but enough to concern me. I've seen my paediatrist who is stumped (ie has no bloody idea).

Now I'm thinking about taking the plunge and getting scuba certified (pun intended). And while I'm more than happy to rent gear, I do want to buy a good pair of fins. Especially ergonomic fins that are easy on the feet (just in case my foot problem persists).

Many thanks!

--Me

hmmm... I personally haven't heard of fins designed ergonomically for certain foot issues. However, in reading your issue I'm wondering if the problem is when your feet get cold. Skis, ice-skating, snorkelling - although not as cold as the others it's still lower than body temperature. Something to consider at the least.

Paula

diver_paula:
hmmm... I personally haven't heard of fins designed ergonomically for certain foot issues. However, in reading your issue I'm wondering if the problem is when your feet get cold. Skis, ice-skating, snorkelling - although not as cold as the others it's still lower than body temperature. Something to consider at the least.

Paula

Not sure. Jogging in winter time my feet become cold but I don't have any issues. And I'm not really looking for "special" fins, just fins you guys know and like that are very comfortable and minimize muscle strain.

--Me

second the Force Fin solution, they are fantastic for preventing foot cramps. I have yet to understand the purpose of the PADI required foot stretch procedure as I have been diving them since day one and never had to use it.

I had this problem years ago and after lots of searching found it was due to dehydration. Try drinking lots of fluids before you go next time. Gatoraide works especially well for me.

Agreed,

Drink fluids and try the Force Fins.

meesier42:
I have yet to understand the purpose of the PADI required foot stretch procedure.
The 'cramp removal' excercise is more for removal of cramp in the legs (but will help foot cramp if needed), esp calf muscle.

Thanks folks for the great responses. Dehydration? Well... :) So be it. I will try that next time before I go ice skating and see if I last more than 5 minutes :)

As for force fins, I'd read a bit about 'em, but never met anyone who used them. Are they really that good? Not being negative, just curious. Haven't really heard any reviews of 'em good or bad.

--Me

kravi:
Hi folks :) It's almost one of those millions of "what gear should I get" questions, but not quite.

I've been snorkling since I was 5. Mostly carribean, red sea, and a bit in the med. Over the past 4 years I've noticed my feat acting up. I run, jog, do martial arts, whatever with no problem. But I strap on skis or ice-skates and my feat cramp up. Within a few minutes. I take them off, and within an hour or two they are fine and I can go jogging.

Well, I was down at key west a little bit ago (snorkling) and my feet got a little crampy. Not a game stopper, but enough to concern me. I've seen my paediatrist who is stumped (ie has no bloody idea).

Now I'm thinking about taking the plunge and getting scuba certified (pun intended). And while I'm more than happy to rent gear, I do want to buy a good pair of fins. Especially ergonomic fins that are easy on the feet (just in case my foot problem persists).

Many thanks!

--Me

Atomic's splits are very nice....will be my next pair.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom