Off to Cancun...HELP!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neophytediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So, the future in-laws are taking the fiancee and I on an all expenses (minus diving) paid trip to the Grand Oasis in Cancun on the 15th-18th. I've read some of the reviews of the various operators down that way, and have considered my options. But, as with most thing, something is nagging me and I need your help.

1. My future step-mom in law to be (that's only 3 years older than me) has informed us that we do not need a passport. Is this true?

2. The future in-laws are interested in a resort course, and I'm wondering if any of the operators will allow a couple of certified divers to accompany the group they are with. This is something we'd love to share with them. If not, oh well.

3. I'm leaning towards Aquaworld just for the ease of it. Anyone got any good reasons to talk me out of it?

Thanks everyone in advance.

You will find scubaboard an asset to your dive planning, if you look at the top of the forum page of the area you are interested in you will find a search function , you may like to use this first and then if your questions aren't answered start a new thread

1. Passport - apparently USA residents need to have a birth certificate with them if they do not have a passport. To be safe always check your country' s Foreign Affairs Dept website for the country you are visiting.
2. Some places will take you on the open water dive part of a resort course, just ask to pay for a one tank dive on the same boat, it will depend on their bookings and the preference of the instructors.
3. Aquaworld - no comment - just do a search on this site and read divers comments, so much has been said.

neophytediver:
1. My future step-mom in law to be (that's only 3 years older than me) has informed us that we do not need a passport. Is this true?

The Government of Mexico requires that all U.S. citizens present proof of citizenship and photo identification for entry into Mexico. A U.S. passport is highly recommended, but other U.S. citizenship documents such as a certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate is acceptable.

For more details, you can read the
US State Department Consular Information Sheet on Mexico.

ok Iwill tell you about Aqua World.

Its a 5 star PADI CDC, with very experienced diving insrtuctors, CD, MSDT, and MI, you can get a resort course and go diving with your family no problem just name it.

how do I know this?, well Im right now at Aquaworld Teaching a DM, and a OWP course and resort courses every day.

If I can do any thing for you just name it, artsv@hotmail.com, thats a nice hotel you chose to stay in.

how many days are you going to stay in Cancun, may be if you like we can arrange a certification for your familiars, we have a lot of flexibility.

I dont know if this is the right place to talk about this but why dont you contact me on my e-mail, and I cant tell you what we have abailable.

artdive:
ok Iwill tell you about Aqua World.

Its a 5 star PADI CDC, with very experienced diving insrtuctors, CD, MSDT, and MI, you can get a resort course and go diving with your family no problem just name it.

I've done many dives with AW over the last 8 or 9 years, including a few resort courses before I was certed, and they really do run a good program for inexperienced divers, certed and otherwise. As a matter of fact I had a long talk with the AquaWorld instructor at our resort (Royal Caribbean) this past January and was quite impressed with how knowledgeable & concerned he is about dive safety etc.

The complaints I've read have always been about the "cattle-boat" style. In fact AW has nice big beamy comfortable boats which are capable of carrying large numbers of divers but seldom are filled when I've been there in January. The folks who work at AW are friendly and helpful almost without exception. I've always enjoyed my dives with AW out of the main marina located not far from the Oasis.

I wish I could remember some DM names but the only one that comes to mind is Miguel. I didn't see him there last January so I'm not sure if he's still working at AW. It was always nice to walk onto a boat with a bunch of strangers and be greeted with a big "Senor John" from Miguel. There were some very nice young ladies working as well but I promised my wife never to remember the females' names.

JohnF

artdive:
how do I know this?, well Im right now at Aquaworld Teaching a DM, and a OWP course and resort courses every day.

I know this is a longshot, but do you happen to know Rafael Redondo? He taught at AW a while back, and he was my DM on several dives a couple of months ago.

UGA:
I know this is a longshot, but do you happen to know Rafael Redondo? He taught at AW a while back, and he was my DM on several dives a couple of months ago.

Rafa opened his own business a couple of years ago, I saw him last year, but I cant remember what his operation is called.

Neophytediver:

The Palace Resorts are nice. Some are much fancier than others. A bonus is that they have exchange priv. w/ each other. You can go to the other Palace Resorts & use their pool & eat in their restaurants. You should check out the Moon, Adventure & Spa Palace on the Mayan Riviera. When I stayed at the Moon the hotel provided transportation to all of their sister properties. (for free) Not sure if they still do. If not, it's a pricey cab ride & you might want to just hit the Beach & Sun Palaces in the hotel zone.

ok, the palace are very nice hotels, the cancun palace is just a couple of hotels in front of aqua world and also you can find an Instructor right in the pool of your hotel, if you try the moon palace its on the outsides of cancun , but theres a boat that goes from the hotel to the marina every day , I guess is for free just with the purchase of any service, ill have to chek

Back
Top Bottom