Off to Cancun...HELP!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neophytediver:
So, the future in-laws are taking the fiancee and I on an all expenses (minus diving) paid trip to the Grand Oasis in Cancun on the 15th-18th. I've read some of the reviews of the various operators down that way, and have considered my options. But, as with most thing, something is nagging me and I need your help.

1. My future step-mom in law to be (that's only 3 years older than me) has informed us that we do not need a passport. Is this true?

2. The future in-laws are interested in a resort course, and I'm wondering if any of the operators will allow a couple of certified divers to accompany the group they are with. This is something we'd love to share with them. If not, oh well.

3. I'm leaning towards Aquaworld just for the ease of it. Anyone got any good reasons to talk me out of it?

Thanks everyone in advance.

If your going to Cancun take LOTS of MONEY!!!!!

Its not really Mexico, Its Mickey Mexico.

Curt Bowen:
If your going to Cancun take LOTS of MONEY!!!!!

Its not really Mexico, Its Mickey Mexico.

??? Has it changed that much in 6 months? I've been going there for about 8 years and find it pretty reasonable as Caribbean type holidays go when one considers the quality of the accommodations, the food etc. Admittedly it's hardly the romantic Mexico we think of with sombreros and serapes and burroes, but it's a damned nice holiday destination if you want to hang out on the beach and catch some rays between dips in warm blue water, and the beer's good.

JohnF

I've always felt that Cancun was Vegas, with a beach, instead of gambling. Very Americanized. Hard Rock Cafe, Planet Hollywood, Subway, Dominoes Pizza.

I don't hate Cancun. I just like the Mayan Riviera area, between Cancun & Playa del Carmen, better. But everyone is different. What I think is great, someone else might hate. Obviously, millions of people just love Cancun.

Kat:
I've always felt that Cancun was Vegas, with a beach, instead of gambling. Very Americanized. Hard Rock Cafe, Planet Hollywood, Subway, Dominoes Pizza.

I don't hate Cancun. I just like the Mayan Riviera area, between Cancun & Playa del Carmen, better. But everyone is different. What I think is great, someone else might hate. Obviously, millions of people just love Cancun.

We stay away from downtown, and seldom even visit the north end of the hotel zone. In fact we rarely even leave our resort (Royal Resorts) except to head south for some cavern diving or to Coz.

JohnF

Now you see I just don't get that. I'm thinking maybe its a cultural thing and that people like Cancun's hotel zone and staying in a closed off hotel because their home places in the USA are so gloomy, it's not a criticism, I just really don't get it. One look at the hotel zone gives me the shivers and I have to do my business and run out of there. They would have to pay me to stay there. To me downtown at least is Mexican and real , as crazy as it can be , and then turning into the turn off to Puerto Morelos is just bliss. I'm with the other Kat on voting for Riviera Maya - but to each his own and if Cancun wasn't there, well the Rivera Maya wouldn't be either - our town is like Playa 10 years ago, not sure if I want to watch it grow or not. see you all soon

I wanted to follow up on some previous threads about cancun. my wife and i leave for cancun tomorrow on our first ocean water dive trip. we are staying in cancun instead of coz because we got a great deal on our hotel, but i'm a bit concerned with the quality of diving in cancun. is it that much worse than coz? we are booked with manta divers, any thoughts? thanks for the responses!!

mbwade76:
I wanted to follow up on some previous threads about cancun. my wife and i leave for cancun tomorrow on our first ocean water dive trip. we are staying in cancun instead of coz because we got a great deal on our hotel, but i'm a bit concerned with the quality of diving in cancun. is it that much worse than coz? we are booked with manta divers, any thoughts? thanks for the responses!!

I just spent a week in Cancun diving with Manta divers. Great op. the vis was 80 plus feet most of the time. I never wore a wetsuit dove in shorts. This is the exact Quote from the dive master Leif on my first day if you want big deep colorful reefs but very little marine life dive Coz if you want so so reefs with lots of marine life dive Cancun. We werent dissappointed Saw lots of everything. even a Turtle and a couple of Nurse Sharks. Emicio (sp) is probably the best Dive master they have stay close to him he will dig in holes and point stuff out that you will miss on your own.

I'm in the process of putting together a trip report with pictures I probably wont have it done before you leave tomorrow but it will be here when you get back. Dont worry about the Coz is best threads you see on here Cancun was great so was the diving and there is more to do after the dive in Cancun then there is in Coz. Which worked out great for me because my spouse is a non diver.

JohnF:
The complaints I've read have always been about the "cattle-boat" style. In fact AW has nice big beamy comfortable boats which are capable of carrying large numbers of divers but seldom are filled when I've been there in January. The folks who work at AW are friendly and helpful almost without exception. I've always enjoyed my dives with AW out of the main marina located not far from the Oasis.

I agree. I dove with them in June mostly out of convenience, but it was enjoyable. There were only 7 divers on the boat that could have held triple that number.

Marc

gtxl1200:
I just spent a week in Cancun diving with Manta divers. Great op. the vis was 80 plus feet most of the time. I never wore a wetsuit dove in shorts. This is the exact Quote from the dive master Leif on my first day if you want big deep colorful reefs but very little marine life dive Coz if you want so so reefs with lots of marine life dive Cancun. We werent dissappointed Saw lots of everything. even a Turtle and a couple of Nurse Sharks. Emicio (sp) is probably the best Dive master they have stay close to him he will dig in holes and point stuff out that you will miss on your own.

I'm in the process of putting together a trip report with pictures I probably wont have it done before you leave tomorrow but it will be here when you get back. Dont worry about the Coz is best threads you see on here Cancun was great so was the diving and there is more to do after the dive in Cancun then there is in Coz. Which worked out great for me because my spouse is a non diver.
thanks for the reports. i'm feeling a bit more at ease with our trip. this may sound too much like a freash fis, but is renting gear that bad of a deal? my lds had gear for rent, but it was going to cost my wife and i $300 for 4 days. Seemed a bit steep.

Back
Top Bottom