Of bungee mounts and bayonet rings...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SelkieDVM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Until recently I had my compass and computer wrist mounted using bungee cord. I've now replaced both with different models and am still using the original wrist straps. Also I've recently added dry gloves and Viking bayonet rings to my suit.

When I previously had my bungeed instruments, I had solved the issure of how long to make the bungee loops by making one long loop with a spring loaded sliding drawstring cord lock thingy. This made it adjustable but did result in a dangling loop which I would wrap under the bungee going around the wrist. I'm also aware it created additional failure points.

So how do you solve the issure of how long to make the bungee loops so that you can use it with both bare skin and heavy undergarments? If I made them short enough so that they would be snug on my bare wrist, I suspect they would be very difficult to get over the rings and maybe too tight.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
This Dive Matrix thread has some ideas that you might find helpful.

I suppose the solution that works best will depend on how often you switch between the two configurations and what kinds of dives you're doing. If you only do one warm water trip per year, then I guess it wouldn't be too inconvenient to just replace the bungee. If you're working confined water classes in a thin exposure suit (as a DM or instructor), then the loop-over method (discussed in the above link) would probably work just fine.

This Dive Matrix thread has some ideas that you might find helpful.

I suppose the solution that works best will depend on how often you switch between the two configurations and what kinds of dives you're doing. If you only do one warm water trip per year, then I guess it wouldn't be too inconvenient to just replace the bungee. If you're working confined water classes in a thin exposure suit (as a DM or instructor), then the loop-over method (discussed in the above link) would probably work just fine.

Ooh, I like it! Nice elegant solution. I also like Lynn's suggestion about adding extra knots for added insurance in case a corner breaks. Thanks!

Greetings SelkieDVM I simply use double knots and depending on how tight I make themI have not had any issues removing them when need be.
I try to slide my computer up my right arm a bit and away from my wrist.
This is to keep from banging it more and to make it easier to adjust "it stays put easier for me".
On occasion I will wear a backup either above or below it.
I used to wear a third watch comp. on my left wrist but I struggled with constriction and cold hand.
I then moved it to my inflator hose on my wing. If I had a BC inflator I would have to put it into my pocket. Not wise either if you consider the cost of the watch!
I have yet to replace it with a $30-$40 dollar time piece.

Hope this helps one of the reason I chose bungee's is the versatile nature of them and lack of failure points.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Greetings SelkieDVM I simply use double knots and depending on how tight I make themI have not had any issues removing them when need be.
I try to slide my computer up my right arm a bit and away from my wrist.
This is to keep from banging it more and to make it easier to adjust "it stays put easier for me".
On occasion I will wear a backup either above or below it.
I used to wear a third watch comp. on my left wrist but I struggled with constriction and cold hand.
I then moved it to my inflator hose on my wing. If I had a BC inflator I would have to put it into my pocket. Not wise either if you consider the cost of the watch!
I have yet to replace it with a $30-$40 dollar time piece.

Hope this helps one of the reason I chose bungee's is the versatile nature of them and lack of failure points.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Thanks Cam. Yeah I actually wear my computer more midway up the forearm too, so I suppose sliding up and down could also provide some adjustment. Lately when I've carried a backup I've clipped it in a pocket. The compass I need to have closer to the wrist to be able to read it well, but honestly I don't often need a compass anyway. Cheers!

If anyone has an idea for the Shearwater Predator that would be sweet. Because of the "slot style" openings the bungee does not seem to work too well. Awesome computer, for the life of me I cannot understand why it comes with such a "rinky dink" strap system.

Could you use 1" elastic webbing on the Shearwater?

I don't dive wet often, so when I do, I just shove the computer further up my arm...usually when I'm diving wet, it's a shallow shore dive, so I don't really need to reference the computer often, and don't really need the redundancy that a second computer on the other arm adds.

If I were switching very frequently, I might even just have a 2nd computer setup for the other conditions. Same with regulators, if I were switching weekly from SM to BM or doubles to singles, I'd just set up a 2nd set of regulators rather than switch hoses on everything every week. Might take time to find the cash though, so until then, I'd get by on the advice on DM :D

I've recently added dry gloves and Viking bayonet rings to my suit.

When I previously had my bungeed instruments, I had solved the issure of how long to make the bungee loops by making one long loop with a spring loaded sliding drawstring cord lock thingy.

I used a cord lock for awhile. Then I used a system kinda like CompuDude's in the DM thread. Although it looks like I'm using thinner bungee; probably 3/16".

Now I have the bungee laced similarly, but instead of loose tag ends, I tie the tag ends to the wrist loops using a Double Overhand Stopper Knot:

Stopper Knots | How to tie the Double Overhand Stopper Knot | Climbing Knots

Even when that knot is cinched down tight I can still slide it on the loop bungee allowing me to adjust the length of the bungee loop. I've adjusted the loop length and knot position so that the knot is almost at the bungee mount for my thickest drysuit undies, and then it easily adjusts to about half the loop size for thin wetsuit diving.

This has worked well in the sense that the adjustment of the loop size doesn't slip like it did with the cord lock. There are no dangly tag ends, and since I don't lace the bungee "criss-cross" there is redundancy should a mount corner or bungee break.

I'll try to snap a couple of pictures tonight.

Henrik

I've thought about having a second set too, but it's just not in the cards financially at the moment.

Henrik, I'll be interested in your pictures if you get the chance. If you're still planning on being in FL in a couple weeks, I can see how you have it set up then too. I probably won't be changing anything in the meantime anyway.

Thanks all.

Reactions: Jax
I do basically the same thing as in the DM thread, but I have my bungees on the extra long side (due to my extra-small wrists) and if the simple loop-over doesn't work, I will twist the long side a few times then pull it over.

Peace,
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom