Ode to the lowly snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

some of us who have been diving for quite some time still swear by them and consider snorkels a very handy and important piece of gear for the right application.

That seems like a very reasonable attitude, unlike PADI and some others who tout them as a required piece of safety equipment.

ZKY
Try Atomic SV1 contour, XS Scuba cargo Stowable, or my favorite the Apollo Prestige Stowable. I don't keep my snorkel attached to my mask, but I always have it available.

As a new diver, I still love my snorkel....maybe that will change some day.
I think if you are a person who learned to snorkle before diving it feels more comfortable on the surface.
To me the reg feels too restrictive on the surface (feels fine once I'm down) and the snorkle gets me into the mouth breathing mindset while still getting good air flow.
I also still don't trust the ocean, I'd rather see the jellyfish, shark, etc. before it gets me:dork2:

Also, saving every bit of air helps.

My only dis-agreement with what you said is the more you wear it, especially new diviers, is the more you get used to it being there on the side of your mask. Also, with the snorkel in place, the new diver may just find they can use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom