Ode to the lowly snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are several stereotypical arguments, which does not mean that one is not more "correct" (at least in absolute terms) than the other(s):

1. Snorkels are of no use, they are like buddy breathing, something that today's divers are not taught, have not mastered and can not properly utilize. In fact, they may, in some circumstances, even be a hazard, if just because the average diver and not use a snorkel effectively, and would be better off not receiving OJT when things have gone wrong.
  2. Snorkels are of no use to me because I carry a huge air supply, so I can use my regulator. I put my regulator in my mouth before I get wet and I rarely, if ever, relinquish it until I am back on the boat/shore. If it really comes down to it and I have to swim on the surface without and air supply I am happiest either swimming on my back or using my inflated rig like a kick-board.
  3. Snorkels are of great use, they help me in all sorts of ways. I put my snorkel in my mouth before I enter the water and, though I breath of my tank when underwater, I exit the water with my snorkel in my mouth.

There is truth in each of the three points of view, but not the same amount of truth.

What we are talking about is, in most cases, a second or even third order issue, which is not to say that it may not be a matter of "life or death," just not very often. It's kinda like the rigamarole that surrounds an "additional failure point" which is oft a theoretical consideration since that "additional failure point," has never been known, in actuality, to fail and most assuredly has never actually caused an injury or death, but a good theoretical argument can be made that it might.

1. So, in response to number one: yes, the state of diver training and readiness today is atrocious when compared to what it was in the "old days." Divers today and instructors today often do not even know how to properly wear, not to mention use, a snorkel. Such people probably, IMHO, should not be diving, but if they are going to, I'm sure that not knowing how to use a snorkel, or buddy breathe, or calculate bingo air, or do any of a number of other things that I take for granted in a diver are but the tip of the iceberg in terms of their lacks.
  2. So, in response to number two: also, yes ... if you dive with a huge air supply, and never stray into kelp, and (insert list of other criteria here) then you will never need a snorkel. But you will also never learn to use a snorkel at an instinctual level and your ability to instinctively guard your airway from the incoming flood (something I see as a true potentially life saving attribute) will always be sub-par ... might I recommend always diving a full face mask ... just in case, after all ... you're carrying lots of gas.
  3. So, in response to number three: also, yes ... there are pluses and minuses to this approach, the problem is that only well practiced, competent divers, will gain the pluses, and with respect to today's average diver, well ... see number one.

1. So, in response to number two: also, yes ... if you dive with a huge air supply, and never stray into kelp, and (insert list of other criteria here) then you will never need a snorkel. But you will also never learn to use a snorkel at an instinctual level and your ability to instinctively guard your airway from the incoming flood (something I see as a true potentially life saving attribute) will always be sub-par ... might I recommend always diving a full face mask ... just in case, after all ... you're carrying lots of gas.

by no means am I intending to pick on a particular part of your post, I pretty much agree with all of it. However, never having been diving in kelp, I am assuming you are referring to entanglement, but how would a snorkel be of help?

Well said. Would I cancel a dive because I didn't have a snorkel? No. I would mourn the passing of my old friend, I bought him years ago and he has served me faithfully, but at his passing I would go down to the dive shop and grouse about crap they've added to a curved to with a mouth piece (I love crying at the lose of simplicity....)

by no means am I intending to pick on a particular part of your post, I pretty much agree with all of it. However, never having been diving in kelp, I am assuming you are referring to entanglement, but how would a snorkel be of help?

I think the idea is that you don't need a snorkle on your back but you can't swim on your back in kelp.

Try swimming face down with scuba gear through/over kelp without the use of your regulator, in a 7mm two-piece farmer john.
It's exhausting to have to pick your head up even when you're in open water. It's plain stupid when you're in kelp. When you do get snagged or entangled on the surface (and I really mean DO, not IF), having an air source is a great help to take your time to allow the kelp to loosen then brush off; whether finite via a scuba tank or infinite via a snorkel.

Also, I'm sure someone might ask, and the answer is no. Going around the kelp is not an option. :wink:

---------- Post Merged at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Every one of those would work great. How did you make the pictures come up?
If you can, would you put up a picture of the Cressi California?
That's about the most classic style I've been able to find short of making one from scratch which I may try some day.

I found a picture in google images, went to the full size image view, and linked it with the Insert Image here.
Here's the Cressi California
Cressi-California-Black-Snorkel.jpg

I hate the snorkel quite frankly it dangles, hits me in the heads and obstructs my view. I have rarely ever needed it and have done choppy shore entries, and choppy boat entries and some medium swims and still don't seem to need it. I do however still have one just in case but it's a pocket snorkel that rolls up nicely and fits in my drysuit pocket ready to clip to my mask when needed (if ever)

xs-SN650BS.jpg

Thanks gcarter and g1138,

That clears up my confusion, and makes perfect sense. I'll be sure to dust off one of my snorkels before heading to a kelp forest :)

I found a match to my old snorkel! I've never found this type of flex mouthpiece to get in my way, and with an old school snokel tab it stays where I put it. Drag is minimal, the tube is close to my head and the mouthpiece just hangs down in front of my shoulder strap. The large bore tube provides plenty of air during a hard surface swim.

Attachments

• 996e_1.jpg
    996e_1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I'd be lost without my snorkel, I use it all the time whilst on the surface as I dive only in the sea and usually from the boat. It's saved me a lot of bottled air in the past when surface conditions became choppy and to be honest, jumping into the water without it feels very strange..."something missing, here" !

Holy crap. Another thread on the snorkel. Use it if you like and don't if you don't. No big difference. Who cares?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom