Odd characters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ooops, thot that had worked. I may have had it backward. Switched again...
Here's what vBulletin Support Said,

I didnÃÕ think this would work, ÅÔo I tested it myself (pasted from MS Word 2007 on Vista - using the Standard Editor in vBulletin)

To get the standard editor - click on the A/A in the upper right hand corner of the reply box.
FAIL both ways.

circled in red.

I'm not convinced here, but this is what vBulletin is saying for the solution. It's kind of a lame one if you ask me. But I'll keep trying with them.

It's definitely a crappy response since I've gotten it by c/p from other vBulletin boards or WordPress blogs... nothing at all to do with MS Word.

I'm looking into something... we'll see what happens.

It's definitely a crappy response since I've gotten it by c/p from other vBulletin boards or WordPress blogs... nothing at all to do with MS Word.
Ah now? V-board doesn't think it's their problem, and - I kinda don't either, as I don't see this on other V-boards.

ScubaBoard probly has the most complex V-board existing, or close - so it could be here, but gawd how could you find it. Howard, et al is doing a gallant job, and as frustrated as he must be - he's being nice to us. It's really a minor annoyance I think, so I'm suggesting cheering.

Ah now? V-board doesn't think it's their problem, and - I kinda don't either, as I don't see this on other V-boards.

ScubaBoard probly has the most complex V-board existing, or close - so it could be here, but gawd how could you find it.

Nice guess... but not to be snide... but you need to get out more. :) Diving is a VERY minor hobby compared to other communities.... while SB is the 800# Gorilla in the diving community, it's definitely NOT the biggest vBulletin community out there. :wink: In fact, the top 100 vB forums have over 1/4 million members each... I think SB has less than half that, so it's easy to see why Howard is wrestling with vB a bit to get some help/insight on this.... persistence will pay off though, and I'm sure the staff here can get to the heart of it.

DandyDon:
Howard, et al is doing a gallant job, and as frustrated as he must be - he's being nice to us. It's really a minor annoyance I think, so I'm suggesting cheering.

...and my comment wasn't directed AT Howard, but rather agreeing WITH his take on vB's response (that it was lame). :shakehead:

Last edited:
i could be wrong, but i think some of this might be solved by moving the db tables over to utf8 instead of the default latin1. i'm pretty sure that this will fix the issue, but it involves taking the site down, changing a config option in vb, and converting all the db tables over (which would take a bit). i have written a script to do this, and hope to test it in a dev env soon. if it solves the problem there, then we can schedual it for prod scubaboard. i'll have more time to devote to this once the migration is 100% complete.

Dallas

I bet some people understand Dallas.

Don't forget to activate SB2. :D

i could be wrong, but i think some of this might be solved by moving the db tables over to utf8 instead of the default latin1. i'm pretty sure that this will fix the issue, but it involves taking the site down, changing a config option in vb, and converting all the db tables over (which would take a bit). i have written a script to do this, and hope to test it in a dev env soon. if it solves the problem there, then we can schedual it for prod scubaboard. i'll have more time to devote to this once the migration is 100% complete.

Dallas

I think there's a high probability that some of what you said might make sense and work on some sort of level. However I'm not sure how many of us here can actually read latin so we might not want to use that as a default. Also, most people tend to use comptuers and there aren't many using tables anymore so I dont know that converting to db tables is such a good idea, someone might end up bent. It's a bit early for migrations to start we can probably expect that once it gets a bit closer to winter. With the exception of those few minor points I noted, it all sounds good! :)

Back
Top Bottom