Odd Buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I read it was like $50 but don't take my word for it. Again, there have been a number of convos on the topic in the Solo forum that covered this.

Oh, wait, I forgot solo is not an open forum. If I have time I'll check.

HBDiveGirl:
Welcome to The Board, Loi. :D
Nice to be onboard. So far, so good! Haven’t been made to do any heavy manual labor (mop the deck, etc.) or walk the plank yet… knock on wood! :wink:

… Division of any treasure found…
I vote for using the Golden Rule here: s/he who has the Gold (i.e. s/he who finds the “treasure”) makes the Rule. :D

mark99:
... lack of proper equipment (such equipment to include mask, fins, snorkel, buoyancy compensator and diving partner)... This is the also the infamous section that mandates the snorkel...
A seasoned diver once told me that as long as a scuba diver can produce/show a snorkel when inquired by an authorized Laguna Beach city official (including a lifeguard), that would satisfy the requirement. The snorkel needs not be attached to the mask at that time (i.e. it can be stowed in the BC pocket). This is what I've heard; I haven't had the courage to test this claim, mind you... :no. I always have my snorkel attached to my mask. That little bit of additional drag produced by the dangling snorkel while underwater is negligible and doesn't sufficiently impact my trimming or air consumption for me to stow it in my BC. However, I've heard that a dangling snorkel is an irresistable toy/magnet to sea lions. I've heard rumors of divers having had their snorkel snatched from their mask by a playful sea lion (at/near Seal Rock). :shakehead

This one might be of interest to... scuba instructors- make sure you clear your students out before 10 am in the summer!
I've seen this requirement written on the Site slabs at the dive sites, especially at Shaw's Cove, where there are lots of scuba classes on weekends.

Hmmm... I just came up with a plan for the next time I dive Laguna. "Lifeguard, I'm a Gemini and my twin always dives with me." And, yes... I am one ODD buddy!

From what I have observed, the lifeguards do not hand out fines. I doubt they have the authority to do so. While the ordinance is not posted in full at Shaws, etc. it is cited on the sign. If you think a posted rule is not enforceable, try running a stop sign with a cop sitting there and see what happens.

The guards appear to try and remind people of the rules before they enter the water. Some of the guards actually have offered divers snorkels. Some guards can be jerks, but so can some divers.

If you are a repeat offender or blow the lifeguards off, you can expect to find the police waiting for you when you get out. I suspect that what comes next, a warning, fine or free evening accomodations, is a function of diver attitude.

The ordinance dates back to the 70's so the agencies the city would have been looking to would have been NAUI, PADI, LA County, SSI and YMCA. As far as I know, none of these agencies currently train beginning recreational open water divers to dive without snorkels or buddies.

While Laguna Beach is unique in its approach to diving, it is the city's perogative to be so and the rules are not totally irrational. They are easy to comply with and also easy to get around by just avoiding the lifeguards. Dive early or late in the day during the summer, or dive during the fall, winter and spring, or just find a friend and a snorkel.

scjoe:
... the agencies the city would have been looking to would have been NAUI, PADI, LA County, SSI and YMCA. As far as I know, none of these agencies currently train beginning recreational open water divers to dive without snorkels or buddies...
The requirement for scuba divers to have a snorkel (and at least one buddy) and the allowed operating hours for the OW classes are two separate/separable subjects in the ordinance. While the former applies to all scuba divers, in training and already certified, my guess is that it's actually meant more for divers already certified. Scuba divers seen without a snorkel visible have typically been divers already certified and not scuba students. They don't have their snorkel attached to their mask while entering and exiting the ocean (and/or while underwater) usually because they don't use it and don't see the need to have it on their mask. Nevertheless, all scuba divers diving at Laguna dive sites are required by the city to have a snorkel or risk facing a monetary consequence.

sam miller:
CompuDude:
Certain agencies actually recommend 3-diver teams as the preferred arrangement.

What "Certain agencies"???

Please advise inquiring minds want to know...

SDM
GUE. Two is one and one is none, as the Seals say...

Back
Top Bottom