Odd Buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone might've already mentioned this, but when there are odd number divers, be careful not to assume it's the other guy whose watching the odd one; especially a night.

-----

Mike.

This "law" in Laguna is why I stopped diving for over 10 years. Being self employed allowed me to dive during the week or whenever I wanted to. So, the majority of the time I dove solo. One day I got stopped by a lifeguard for not having a buddy. He threatened me with a $300 fine. He "let me go" with a warning. And I have not returned to Laguna to dive in almost 13 years. If there are other cities that prohibit solo diving, I have not run into them.

What about a certified solo diver? Can they be ticketed?

Hi OB,
I can't believe you let that stop you from diving when there are so many other good spots to dive up & down the So. Ca. coast. You could've done some boat diving also.

Happy Diving
John

Laguna has a marine protection officer that was hired by the city of Laguna Beach. It is her job, among other things, to cite those who disobey the posted laws. The LG's will call her.

Snorkel: Doesn't have to be on your mask, can be in pocket, etc. I have been asked to show my snorkel on a couple of occassions before entering never upon exit.

Buddy: Odd buddies is okay 3, 5, 7, 9, etc; just not solo. Not that it's right, just that it satisfies the ordinance.

Of course the looseness of the language of the ordinance is such that divers and LG's interpret them differently, as do different LGs. I've heard instances of (mainly summer hire) LG's requiring the snorkel to be attached and odd buddy groups not being allowed to dive, but this is far from the norm based upon my personal experience and from what I've heard.

Viloation of these ordinances are also a MISDEMEANOR offense, not just a ticket & fine, but a summons to appear in County court. Cases are heard by County Judges not LB city judges. I've heard of at least one (solo) case being successfully defended and/or reduced from a misdemeanor to an infraction. But that's a not a chance I'd recommend taking.

18.21.060 Penalty for violations.

The violation of any of the provisions of this chapter is punishable as a
misdemeanor. (Ord. 506 (part), 1962).

-Garrett

Interesting that the history of only a few years-- 44 almost 45 --1962 to present has been forgotten or lost forever..

When was the ordiance passed?
Why was it passed?
Who was responsible for it?

All these instructors who speak with such great authority on so many subjects -
speak up!

sdm

I hate diving in threes.....i always seem to spend more time watching for the other two than enjoying my dive........At least with only one buddy your a bit more focused

Diving Doc:
I hate diving in threes.....i always seem to spend more time watching for the other two than enjoying my dive........At least with only one buddy your a bit more focused
During dive planning, and at the last moment before descending, the magic words are: "Dive to stay found."

Don't just keep an eye on your team mates.
Dive so they can more easily keep an eye on you.

Don't change direction unless you catch a team mate's eye and let them see which way you're going. Be predictable. No Crazy Ivan's.

Signal alot. Clear and short... but signal.
HID lights help a lot, as your peripheral vision can pick up light signals without you needing to fully turn your head.

Wetnotes are great because you can quickly regroup and get the exact same message to everyone.

It works with some team mates, and not so much with others. Dive and learn.

The right team of three is a Blast!!! Now you've got 6 eyes on the team looking for great stuff and covering a little more territory.

Claudette

Diving Doc:
Although I don’t hate it, I also prefer not to dive in trio. However, a couple of times I wanted to go diving, and we could not find a fourth diver. Between a trio dive and staying dry, I usually choose to dive in trio. But as indicated previously, we make sure our team of 3 is properly prepared for the trio dive (preparations are those that Claudette had cited previously).

HBDiveGirl:
During dive planning, and at the last moment before descending, the magic words are: "Dive to stay found."
Words to live by. Short, sweet, and to the point!

HBDiveGirl:
It works with some team mates, and not so much with others.
Very true!

Back
Top Bottom