Octopus question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cherry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got an Apeks ATX 200 with out an octopus what would you rec. for a octopus. My about to be backup rig is an apeks AT 20/20 would the 20 octopus be ok or should I spring for a new octopus and leave my 20/20 intact? Should the octopus be a 40 or 50? Fairly new diver and still learning.

Thanks

The 20, 40 and 50 are VERY similar.

A 40 is a 20 with a heat exchanger (This allows it operate below 10 deg C, 50 def F)

A 50 is a 40 with a knob on the side that lets you tune the breathing. You can still tune a 20 and a 40 but you need to use an allen key.

So, in answer to your question, if you are not diving in cold water then a 20 will be fine. If you are then get a 40 or 50 depending on personal preference.

nickjb once bubbled...
A 50 is a 40 with a knob on the side that lets you tune the breathing. You can still tune a 20 and a 40 but you need to use an allen key.

Be very careful when tuning using an allen wrench. There's a pin inside the reg that prevents the adjustment screw from unscrewing beyond a certain point that many other regs don't have. If you aren't careful and force it, the plastic adjustment screw will snap. And yes, I'm speaking from experience here. :wink: Apparently I'm not the only one who's done it either, I saw a T20 in the LDS with the exact same snap when I brought mine in for service. You may still be able to dive the reg, since it usually snaps beyond the o-ring and the seal is preserved, as long as you keep the plastic screw still screwed into the reg. I've been able to dive my TX40 while waiting for a replacement part. Hope this helps.

-Roman.

Thanks, since I live in the rockies and am likely to dive in some cold water ( our lakes in summer will be 60 deg on the surface and thats at their warmest) I will prob go with the 40 at least . Now how do I handle this "Honey my Octopus was broken too and Ive just got to replace the whole thing... damn eh" :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom