October 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date: Oct. 18, 2004
Dive Location: Point Dume Pinnacles, Malibu
Time: 12:16 pm
Bottom Time: 55:00
Max Depth: 57 ft.
Vis: 15-20 ft+
Wave height: 3-5 feet
Tide information: High tide was 12:08PM

Went to point dume with mgmonk (Gannon), the ocean gods tried to stop us from diving with rain showers and waves crashing on shore, but to no avail. We entered into perfectly clear waters, had a pleasant swim out to the pinnacles over beautiful sand dollar beds with a slight current pushing us, and a fantastic dive. Lots of usual suspects, a rambunxious sea lion, a sunflower star, several spanish shawl & lemon nudibanchs, several horn sharks, cabezon, black-eyed & blue-banded goby were some of the highlights. Swam back underwater when I hit 1000 psi in my al-80, finished with 200 left, Gannon finished with 1000 psi in his HP steel-100. Gannon, thanks for preventing me from getting carried to the Santa Monica Pier.

Scott

Date: Oct. 18, 2004
Dive Location: Redondo reef
Time: 11:45 pm
Max Depth: 85 ft.
Vis: 15-20 ft+
Wave height: 3feet
Wind: 5kts
Water temp at depth: 54 degrees

This was suppose to be a harbor hoopnetting trip for my nondiving fishing buddies but after 3+hours of hoop'n and only a few short lobsters,I decided to make sure my friends went home with lobsters so I geared up and did my dive for 4 lobsters which made them very happy.

I bought a set of 10 hoops for this season, used them once, got skunked, jumped in the drink and pulled a limit. LOL

Thanks for the report.....I have 10 hoops for sale.

Kyle

Date: Oct. 20, 2004
Dive Location: Redondo Canyon boat dive
Time: 9:30 pm
Max Depth: 110 ft.
Vis: 15ft
Wave height: 3-4feet
Wind: 5-7kts
Water temp at depth: 54 degrees
There was a bit of a current pushing me out over the drop off so I had to keep kicking fairly hard to stay on the edge of the canyon which makes for a tiring dive but I did manage 4 lobster and 4 rock crab with the biggest lobster at about 4 lbs.

Date: Oct. 22, 2004
Dive Location: Long Point/Marineland, Palos Verdes
Time: 11:10AM
Bottom Time: 70:21
Max Depth: 49 ft.
Vis: 13-15 ft, slight current
Wave height: 2-3 feet; surface choppy

Gannon and I had a nice dive here today. We had planned on entering at the point, but the waves were bashing against the rocks too much even for our adventurous tastes, so we entered in the cove, surface swam for 15 minutes to the reef and dropped right down on top of it. Saw the usual suspects, cabezon, scorpionfish, a couple schools of barracuda, an octopus, couple juvenile garibaldi, juvenile sea hare, thriving corynactis, lemon nudibranch and spanish shawls. Swam back to the cove underwater against a current, had to surface swim the last few minutes due to low air. A writing tablet was lost at this site for the 2nd time in a row!

Scott

Date: Oct. 23, 2004
Dive Location: Malaga Cove, Palos Verdes
Time: 08:30
Bottom Time: 85'
Max Depth: 31 ft.
Vis: 20-25 ft
Surge: 2-3 ft
Wave height: 0-1 feet

Usual suspects. Great day, no poo spotted but did see a dude at RAT taking a water sample. Otherwise, excellent visibility and low surge for a beach dive. A really good day to be in the water!

Dive Location: La Jolla Shores, North Wall
Time: 08:15
Bottom Time: 34:00
Max Depth: 95 ft.
Vis: 20-50 ft
Wave height: 1 foot
Temp at depth: 63 degrees
Comments: Met up with Roy, Leila, Simon, Sam, and Terry's co-worker Bob at the Shores. Using my depth finder we kicked out to the north wall peninsula and dropped down into 65 feet of water. Visibility was quite amazing at 50 feet plus. We encountered a current as we made our way over the peninsula which definitly slowed our progress. We saw some yellow tail, barred sand bass, a sheep crab, several octopus, a few cabazon, some blacksmith, and more. The topography was very interesting going from a slope to vertical wall. At the end we had to swim over some deep water to the east wall and ended up doing an open water ascent. I really ejoyed this dive and look forward to more exploration with the depth finder!

Pics: http://www.scubapost.net/gallery/shores10232004

Dive Location: Caissons, F.S.Loop wrecks
Time: 10:01
Bottom Time: 49:00, 45:00
Max Depth: 157, 71
Vis: 35 feet, 10-15 feet
Wave height: 1 foot
Temp at depth: 56,65 degrees

Made the first dive at the Caissons. Ross and I agreed that one of us might call the dive before we got to the structure due to the dirty water at the surface. Fortunately it was only dirty down to ten feet. We found a Torpedo ray sitting near the same spot I've seen him many times before, plus schools of juvenile fish and Blacksmith. For the second dive, we went over to the wreck of the F.S.Loop. It was a first time dive for each of us, and we were pleasantly surprised. I'd always heard the the only thing there were the ribs sticking out of the sand. We found nearly 200 feet of structure, some sections rising ten feet off the sand. Tons of fish everywhere, including Blacksmith and Calicos in the water column enjoying the fruits of our recent runoff. Conditions were way better than I had hoped for, considering the heavy rains earlier in the week.

Back
Top Bottom