Octo bungee logic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never had a hose (HP or LP) fail catastrophically. There have always been signs. Bubbling, swelling, etc. Identify, and swap out...

Well, I have never tried it but I'll bet I could buddy breath with my buddy's alternate on a 22" hose.

The ones I saw on DGX were setup with a 90 degree swivel on the primary, so the hose could be run under the diver's arm. Why wouldn't you just use the same length hose and swivel arrangement for the one on the necklace bungee? Wouldn't this address the concern about entanglement?

The OP asked this question, and I thought it was fair enough to repost it. So, a long hose (7') routed under a can light (or tucked in), and a 40" hose routed under the arm then bungeed. The biggest issue I can come up with is a potential SNAFU with the long hose deployment...or perhaps issues while gearing up.

Thoughts?

Deployment issues are taken care of during an S drill, prior to every dive.

Remember, you are trying to create a situation where you can deal with two major failures at once. If your buddy is out of gas, you donate. If one of your LP hoses simultaneously explodes, you will quite likely not have enough gas to share (it takes about 90 seconds to empty an 80 cf tank through a cut LP hose). In that circumstance, you may want to consider a CESA.

In 9 years, and between us about 2500 dives around the world, I have never seen an LP hose go in such a fashion.

You ask, "Why NOT set up the backup reg on a longer hose run under the arm to a swivel, so you can share it?". The answer is simple -- the situation where you need to do that is so remote as not to merit an equipment change to deal with it. You CAN share a 24" hose; it isn't particularly comfortable or convenient, but it can be done. To save a life, you might try. If you have never done buddy breathing, you may be surprised at easy it is to screw it up. I think, if you have never tried it, you might be better off with the technique in which you were trained, and which you have, at least, done once or twice.

Remember, we are not talking rental gear here. We are talking your own equipment. Monitoring the age and condition of your hoses, the condition of your mouthpiece, and the service intervals of your gear, is entirely within your control.

Fwiw, I seem to recall an incident (Bill McFadden's death, perhaps) where 1 diver did buddy breath off the short hose reg.

But I tend to agree, the amount of nonsense you have to get yourself in to warrant that is just bananas.

On a dive trip last year my bungeed second stage hose started leaking and I replaced it with a longer hose that I had with me. On the very next dive my son's first stage diaphragm failed in high current and after giving him my primary I went for my bungeed reg. Unfortunately the current had flipped longer hose over my head and the reg was now upside down causing my first breaths to be mostly water. Not fun in an emergency situation.
another self rebuild ...........................

Back
Top Bottom