Oceanic Rip Off Pro Plus 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info 300bar. I will send Doug a PM or e-mail and I'm sure he will try to make me happy and I appreciate that. However, it is not my point to make a bunch of noise for Oceanic to bend over backwards to make me happy. I just felt that this experience should be put out there when people get an offer of an upgrade, regardless of the manufacturer. Reminds me of Software developers. I am generally slow to upgrade because new features may come at a cost and not work as well.

best

aaron
From the outside, that is EXACTLY what you are attempting to accomplish. Your original post wasn't just negative, it was flat-out insulting to Oceanic... starting with the title, and ending with "SHAME ON YOU".

If you have read posts in this forum, you knew most people have nothing but praise for Oceanic and their customer service through this web site and your original post seems to report the exact opposite from customers in your area...

You state, "I just felt that this experience should be put out there..."... Why?

You are correct, I was hot this morning and was having a fit. I admit it.

I thank Oceanic for offering me the option to get a replacement computer at a reduced price. Not all manufacturer will do that. A lot will, but not all.

aaron
I hadn't read to this point, when I asked my questions above... this answers a lot... thanks

OP, have you contacted Doug like he asked?

What did Oceanic do to make this right?

Hey guys. Well, here is the conclusion. Doug contacted me with the honest specs for the VT3. He also understood my frustration and told me to feel free to contact him with any other concerns. Thank You Doug for the understanding. The VT3 is not the computer for me, but it is a good computer with higher memory capacity. Don't think I am an Oceanic computer hater, it was the situtation that warranted the angry post. As a result, it is likely that I will encourage students, when asked, to purchase a different brand over the Oceanic or sister company, Aeris.

Since the VT3 did not meet my needs, I am now the proud owner of a Vytec DS and I purchased a Cobra 2 as a class computer for every day diving. They were a program purchase through my job and I hope to see them next week since my credit card has been charged. I'm a like a kid waiting for x-mas.

Happy diving, stay wet, and be S.A.F.E.

OK, I'm confused. Your original post was complaining about the ProPlus2, but your last post talks about the VT3.

Yes. The original post was about being ripped off by "upgrading" to a Pro Plus 2 from an original Pro Plus. It was made very clear that the Pro Plus 2 has a significant reduction in memory compared to the Pro Plus I originally had. As a result, I feel as though as I was misinformed when they sold it to me as an upgrade. I then wanted to look at other Oceanic computers to see how they compare to the Pro Plus 2. The only one with similar capabilities arguably was the VT3. This only has roughly 2.5 times the memory of the Pro Plus 2. That was my question to Doug, how do the other Oceanic products hold up in regards to memory.

I maybe should not of even mentioned the VT3. If the Pro Plus 2 with a sampling rate of 2 sec can only store one dive for about a total of 50 minutes dive time, that would mean that the VT3 with a 2 sec sampling rate will hold 125 minutes of dive time. That would equal to roughly 2 long dives, 3 short dives, or 1 long deco dive. Seems to be lacking to me if my Pro Plus 2 is perfectly normal as I was told since it only holds 50-60 minutes of dive time. Again, Oceanic is no longer for me. Then again, I am probably just stubborn since the post was originally about the principle of how I bought an upgrade that was not an upgrade to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom