Oceanic Rip Off Pro Plus 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info 300bar. I will send Doug a PM or e-mail and I'm sure he will try to make me happy and I appreciate that. However, it is not my point to make a bunch of noise for Oceanic to bend over backwards to make me happy. I just felt that this experience should be put out there when people get an offer of an upgrade, regardless of the manufacturer. Reminds me of Software developers. I am generally slow to upgrade because new features may come at a cost and not work as well.

best

aaron

I think I know the problem. Your Pro Plus 2 is probably running Vista under the hood! :D

I can see where you are coming from and the loss of data storage would probably tick me off too, but your first post was really inflammatory and over the top. It's good to see you are cooling off a bit.

I just bought a used Oceanic VT3 and, while still waiting to dive with it, I have been impressed in the construction and functionality of the unit and the support offered on their website re: software and manuals. The only thing I can complain about is the rip-off price of the USB cable! Working with electronics as much as I do, I am positive that cable costs less than $5 to manufacture. A $100 list price is ridiculous. So don't count me as an Oceanic apologist. :wink:

You are correct, I was hot this morning and was having a fit. I admit it.

I thank Oceanic for offering me the option to get a replacement computer at a reduced price. Not all manufacturer will do that. A lot will, but not all.

aaron

"Why do you have the sampling rate so high? 15 Seconds??"

Because that is what the old version was set at and I never had a problem. Plus, analyzing profiles is easier with a smooth curve. A short dive of 10-15 minutes is very sporadic looking especially if you are heading down to 120' for example. I can show people examples of what the profiles look like. However, the appearance is NOT the big issue. The short sample rate gives you better air consumption calculations, etc. If you want to analyze your air consumption while you were lifting that engine block with lift bags at 60 feet for a total time of 2 minute in the middle of the dive. 60 time points to analyze is a heck of a lot more useful than 8 time points. Some people are more anal like myself and like to dissect their dives.

Aha, but the the air consumption rate (SAC Rate) is based upon the overall dive time, the average depth, the the quantity of gas used. It is not specific to a particular segement of the dive.

Just being my normal, devil's advocate self . . .

the K

True, True. The program automatically gives you a SAC rate for the entire dive. However, if you pull out the dive date for each sampling time point, you can take a give period of time, at a specific dept, do an activity, find those time points in the sampling data, and calculate your SAC "under load" while at certain depths. SAC will very when diving against current, sitting on the bottom with no activity, heavy activity such as lifting or welding (ZAP) and can allow you better plan your dive based on your SAC during the activity. You don't necessarily do the activity the entire dive so SAC for the overall dive is not useful. If I weld for 5 minutes but have a 20 minute dive to get my SAC, then dive for 20 minutes and weld the entire time, overall SAC will be very different. That is why it is nice to have all the data and put it into prism, excel, or other database programs.

Good point.

the K

I would look a little deeper into your problem.

I've been using my PP2 set at a 2 second sampling rate for the last 3 years and it holds more than 20 dives before overwriting any dives.

Thanks for the info philmayer. I need to find someone with the exact same computer and dive them side by side with the same setting. Oceanic never even let the thought pass their mind that there may be a problem with my particular unit, they just told me that it was limited in memory and that was that. I wonder if the change in memory occurred when they changed to the PP2 versus PP1, or if it changed with different revisions over the years. Mine is likely a newer revision with a manufacture date of 06/07. Maybe other people could chime in as well and discussion their settings and number of dives they can log and still download.

best

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom