Oceanic regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using a much older SP 109 I think it is called. It is adjustable with a knob, but not freaking huge like yours. A few weeks ago , I borrowed a reg from someone and it was much smoother than my 40 yr old reg which has not been serviced in who knows how long, so I dug out a newer (maybe 20 yrs old G-250 Scuba Pro reg) and have been using that for a few dives. the guts on those two regs are similar or identical, so it is probably just a matter of service. but the G-250 works well and is a little drier, my other second stgae leaks a little for some reason..

I have had very good luck with Oceanic first stages. and their other simpler second stages are fine,, but the one you have...

Yeah I might have to try. I have a lot of regulators, too many really, but that one old beat up 109 has sentimental value or something. i have been using it primarily for around 15 years maybe. When I borrowed the new, expensive USD divers reg - don't know the model - it just felt really smooth on the inhalation and maybe quieter (which is important for spearfishing) while my second stage gives me all the air, but it sorta flutters.

I really HATE regulators that BLOW air at you, when they are like that it always feels like they are on the verge of a freeflow and the USD reg was NOT doing that.

When I first started asking about regs the first thread was about mixing brands- I was thinking about changing the second stage and keeping the first stage. I may think about that again.
I got sidetracked when I found out what I had been told was an FDX10 first stage wasn't, and I was starting to think it was an unbalanced piston. Since my PX2 is a balanced first stage I will keep it and use it, especially since it swivels and has enough ports for whatever I want to do.

I was originally thinking about buying a Hog Classic second stage. How does that compare in size to my Delta2?

If you've been diving it, I wouldn't worry too much about the size critique. It's not like it blocks your vision. Larger regs have more diaphragm surface area which can translate to leverage making it easier to crack....maybe. It also holds more air, which may make it float better, be lighter feeling, and be easier on the jaw. You can find pluses and minuses in about anything if you want to.
FWIW a criticism of the Scubapro 109 is that it's a solid chunk of metal so is heavy. I know, I have and use one.

If you've been diving it, I wouldn't worry too much about the size critique. It's not like it blocks your vision. Larger regs have more diaphragm surface area which can translate to leverage making it easier to crack....maybe. It also holds more air, which may make it float better, be lighter feeling, and be easier on the jaw. You can find pluses and minuses in about anything if you want to.
FWIW a criticism of the Scubapro 109 is that it's a solid chunk of metal so is heavy. I know, I have and use one.

Thanks. I haven't tried the others regs, like a Hog, so I have nothing to compare them too.
The last regs I owned before this Oceanic was a Calypso j valve and Conshelf 2 from the early to mid '70s.

Just like 1st stages, 2nds come as balanced and it their case, down steam. Theoretically balanced is easier to crack and possibly a little smoother. But the reality is there is a lot of variation since there are so many of both kind. The current $$$ top end SP 2nds don't give up much if anything to ages old M109 that have been converted to balanced. Before I switched mine over I used it as an adjustable down stream and it was fine.

I just set my tank up for a dive this afternoon. My octo is a delta (something). Pawed my way through the various manuals and couldn't find any with the same cover as mine. OTOH, like current SP 2nds are not significantly different from older ones, the whole Delta series with the adjustment seem to have very similar parts, identical in many cases.

FWIW I've replaced the SP M109 with an old Aqualung Calypso downstream 2nd for this dive. I fully expect it to be just fine. All the parts that are in that thing are probably 15-20 years old or more except for a couple O-rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom