Oceanic Geo Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Geo 4 does not have a compass, I doubt the Geo Air has a compass and they would have listed it in the features.
I sorta figured that. I currently use the OCi which does have one, but I rarely use it. If I do get one of the Geo Airs, I'll probably use the OCi as a back-up, anyway, so I'd still have access to its compass.

I sorta figured that. I currently use the OCi which does have one, but I rarely use it. If I do get one of the Geo Airs, I'll probably use the OCi as a back-up, anyway, so I'd still have access to its compass.
I've been diving an Oceanic VT3 since 2010, 1743 dives, 1842 hours. I've dived several backups with it, Cochran EMC-14, Oceanic Geo 2, Dive Rite Nitek Q, and, since 2019, a Shearwater Teric. The Teric is the first that is also air integrated and I run it off the same transmitter as the VT3. The Geo Air would make a fine 2nd AI computer. I almost bought a used Atom 3.1 to use with the VT3, but decided I wanted to learn Buhlmann, so went with the Nitek Q, which was available for only $400 at the time.

I've been diving an Oceanic VT3 since 2010, 1743 dives, 1842 hours. I've dived several backups with it, Cochran EMC-14, Oceanic Geo 2, Dive Rite Nitek Q, and, since 2019, a Shearwater Teric. The Teric is the first that is also air integrated and I run it off the same transmitter as the VT3. The Geo Air would make a fine 2nd AI computer. I almost bought a used Atom 3.1 to use with the VT3, but decided I wanted to learn Buhlmann, so went with the Nitek Q, which was available for only $400 at the time.
If I do decide to get the Geo Air, I also plan on running it off the same transmitter as the OCi. If I'm not mistaken, the Geo Air is a little bit larger face than the OCi, which would be good. I can see the OCi fine with my prescription lenses, and don't really need to upgrade, but I like the advanced features of the Geo Air and at around $550 without the transmitter, that's a really good price. And I don't need to be buying yet another transmitter. I already have one I'm not using.

I wonder if you can buy just the computer if you already have transmitter

Yes, you can. The price is around $550.00.
The $800 price for the Geo Air and transmitter may be a special bundled price. The Geo 4 costs $410. The transmitter costs $400. The Geo Air likely goes for more than the Geo 4

Edit: so it looks like @BoltSnap is right on. Appears that the Geo Air computer alone will go for $550 Geo Air The bundle price looks pretty good, $150 off.

So my old Atom 2.0 finally died after almost 14 years of service (I think). Since my transmitter still worked, and I don't do any tech diving, I thought this would make a good replacement.

It seems quite nice, I don't like how they've changed the strap pins from the old, robust screw-in ones.

I used to connect my Atom to my laptop via USB and download my dive profiles directly to divinglog (divinglog.de) which I've been using for years and have all my dives logged on.

The option for the Geo Air seems to be to bluetooth it to your phone into DiveLog+. This is a pretty poor app!

I'm trying to get my dive profiles off either the computer directly or off DiveLog+ and into a format divinglog.de can read.

The options for DiverLog+ are to export to either DiverLog for Windows (which doesn't support the Air), or synch with DiveCloud.

DiverLog for Windows only supports "Import/Export options in multiple formats" with the paid version, and they apparently don't support the Air anyway.

Divecloud lets you download your dives, as a ZXU file (which can be imported into divinglog), but there seems to be lots of data missing from the air/temperature profiles. (ie. 5-10 mins of 0 degrees celcius, then 30 seconds of 19.7 degrees, then another 5-10 with 0). Same with the air - 200 bar, then a few minutes with zero bar. I'm sure that the transmitter was connected the whole time (or at least, almost the whole time). So something is going janky with the data transfer.

I've managed to connect the computer to my laptop via Bluetooth and download the dives using libdivecomputer, a library for communication with various dive computers. and the Geo 4.0 Interface. This gets data but it is gibberish. They don't claim to support the Geo Air.

How do I get my data? HELP!

Divecloud lets you download your dives, as a ZXU file (which can be imported into divinglog), but there seems to be lots of data missing from the air/temperature profiles. (ie. 5-10 mins of 0 degrees celcius, then 30 seconds of 19.7 degrees, then another 5-10 with 0). Same with the air - 200 bar, then a few minutes with zero bar. I'm sure that the transmitter was connected the whole time (or at least, almost the whole time). So something is going janky with the data transfer.

Not necessarily: you don't need to log the temperature or air pressure every second if you don't expect them to have large random changes. It's possible that the computer does not and expects the software to interpolate later.

You could try posting a new tread, maybe in the software subforum, and with a more descriptive title.

Even my Geo 2 has a watch face and several watch functions. I agree, way too big for me to use as a daily watch. The size factor may be a little different on the Geo Air, I have never seen a Geo 4.
I wear my Geo 4 as an "every day" watch part of the time, and my Shinola other times. It's large, but I am a big guy so it doesn't look out of place.

Would you choose the Geo Air over the Aqualung i470tc ?
It might be time to upgrade the Atom 2.
Your Atom 2 runs DSAT. The Geo Air runs DSAT and PZ+, the i470TC runs just PZ+. Do you want to change deco algorithms? DSAT is liberal, PZ+ is moderate/middle of the road.

I assume you already have a transmitter. The Geo Air and i470TC cost about the same for the computer alone. The computer/transmitter bundle for the Geo Air is about $150 off if you needed a transmitter

What's wrong with your Atom 2 that you want to upgrade it? I'm still diving a VT3 as one of my computers, the same vintage as your Atom 2

Would you choose the Geo Air over the Aqualung i470tc ?
It might be time to upgrade the Atom 2.
I'm not familiar with the i470tc so I looked it up. After comparing it to the Geo Air, I personally would get the Geo Air for a couple of reasons. One, if I'm not mistaken, the face of the Geo Air is a little larger than the i470tc (if I'm wrong a bout this, someone please correct me.) That would make it a little better for reading the numbers. However, this, may not be a factor for you. I currently have an Oceanic OCi which I love. It is basically the same size as the i470tc. Both the OCi and i470tc can be worn as a watch.

But the main reason I would go with the Geo Air is it was the dual algorithms DSAT and PZ+ whereas the Aqualong runs the PZ+ only, a more conservative algorithm than DSAT. The pricing is very close for the two computers so that isn't much of a factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom