Oceanic Datamask. The real thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter C
Yes, but the Oceanic Atom 2.0 is only $900. Which is one of the reasons I bought one.

fppf:
Peter C
Yes, but the Oceanic Atom 2.0 is only $900. Which is one of the reasons I bought one.

Then you would not be considered a buyer of a high end computer...The Data Mask is Oceanics flagship, and not for everyone.

Would you buy the Toyota or the fully loaded Lexus? The mask is the Lexus. Not everyone wants the Lexus, so they build a mid and low level Toyota. It is called options :14: I wrote my first post because people were complaining that the price was WAY out of line, when in fact it is not. Expensive YES, but everything is relative.

I am sticking with my wrist mounted computer too :)

Peter, aren't you using a Scubapro wrist computer or something? I forgot what you had the last time we met. I've seen the Scubapro wrist computer just as expensive as the data mask. The only difference s with the data mask, you don't have to spend extra money for a mask unless its a prescription one, but I'm sure Oceanic will put that into consideration for future product.

fppf:
Doug
Thanks for the comments, its nice to see oceanic is pushing the limits.
I think your on the right track. However I don't think having a set position will work for the masses. I can see a real need to have an easy way for the user to make small adjustments to the location of the display location. Maybe a small jack screw setup??
It would also be a huge plus if you could make the mask clear instead of black.

Keep up the good work we love our atom 2.0.
Oceanlog needs help though.

You will probably never see a clear version because the ambient light that goes thru the clear silicon will wash out the display screen :)

Same thing with lenses that are color corrected....you need the black to block out all the surrounding light

I don't agree with that.
I had no problem seeing the display in full sunlight in the Cayman's with the contrast set porperly.

fppf:
Doug

It would also be a huge plus if you could make the mask clear instead of black.

I can see it now. Datamask Pro, Dork Divers Edition.

fppf:
I don't agree with that.
I had no problem seeing the display in full sunlight in the Cayman's with the contrast set porperly.

Thats true because the ambient light was being blocked by the black skirt....The sunlight was in front of you not coming in from the silicon hitting the inside front of the mask....You dont have to agree with me, but I bet you 10 double cheeseburgers Im right :D

I held the mask away from my face with the sun at my back, still worked good.
Besides, how much light do you think we get 130 feet down in lake Erie? LOL

I tried the Datamask last week. Pretty cool, but I'm not blown away. The computer itself isnt the most powerful (Pro Plus 2, VT3, etc, have more functions) The mask is abit bulky, but I guess that will change accordingly when the technology improves. The Datsmask would be great for someone carrying a weapon so they would not have have to burden of seaching for gauges. It would really suck if you wer diving with one of these masks and someone kicked it off your face. The datamask is cool, but seems that divers will either love it or hate it. The price is abit high, but what do you expect.

elim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom