Oceanic Datamask. The real thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dk2943

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
You may have heard about the impending release of the Oceanic Datamask, something, I understand, that has been talked about for many years. Well, today, I tried the real thing. First, let me admit that my current computer is an Aeris XR-1, a basic one button air only device, so I am not yet familiar with the more sophisticated computers on the market.

Through Underwater Unlimited in Coral Gables, we first had a hands-on seminar yesterday at their store. Today, we got to try them out in Key Largo with Capt. Slate.

The masks seemed to fit most everyone. The right lense is half taken up by the inboard computer. It is a two button computer that I am told works much like the VT machines. It uses the same type of transciever as them. Lots of settings that were easy to access. The main screen consisted of 3 lines: depth, air and air time remaining. There is also a scale for nitrogen. The numbers were easy to read, and it was infinitely easlier to simply look down, rather than find a computer or look on your wrist. Anyone who wants to have both arms available and have computer information available, such as photographers or spearfisherman, would want one.

The first dive, I found it hard to bring it into focus and could not see the third line until I slightly readjusted the mask on my face. I needed to do this a few times, but did not have a problem on the second dive.

The mask will be on the market in August.

Whoops. I know I said they would be out in August, because that is what we were told, but I have no real info to that effect. They seem ready to go to market, but .....

It sure is a neat toy, but I don't really see the application. What does this do that I could not easily do before? If they gave me one for free I don't think I'd use it.

Do you have anymore of your personal thoughts on the mask?
Did you like it? Would you buy one?

What we need is a heads up display (HUD) for the AGA mask, it wouldnt have to be wireless/hoseless either. even just a basic readout would be nice, I dont need all the fancy functions on my Cobra. Interspiro makes a type of HUD for firefighter use but is has no practical use in scuba. I ran into a situation today where having a HUD would have been ohhh sooo nice but oh well just another luxury to make you lazy I guess.

I would like to get one but am worried that the mask will not fit right and now I am stuck with an expensive ill fitting leakymask

SkullDeformity:
It sure is a neat toy, but I don't really see the application. What does this do that I could not easily do before? If they gave me one for free I don't think I'd use it.

I agree about it being a toy... but it does have an application, a few in fact; 1: gadget effect, many, many divers gotta have the greatest gadget! 2: (slightly more usefull in my thinking) if someone is cruising around filming, they dont have to stop, look at their computer that is either on the back of their wrist or move their hand to grab their computer console, just flick your eye down to the lower right. We may have taking training from the same agency and dive with the same gear config, but you seem a bit to partial to the coolaid... It is a VERY comfortable mask, I hope they come out with the same mask without the electronics, Ill ditch my SP frameless. The only reason I wouldnt buy it is it costs too much money for a mask. If I were given one, I might use it for fun shallow dives.

fppf:
Do you have anymore of your personal thoughts on the mask?
Did you like it? Would you buy one?

I actually liked the concept a lot. I never even had to think about finding my computer or even looking at my wrist. It quickly became almost second nature, and the info was always right there. The mask was not heavy, as I thought it might be, and it fit comfortably.

Two reasons why I would hesitate before buying one now. One is that it is supposed to cost about $1,500.00. The other is that I prefer to buy 2nd or 3rd generation electronics on a new device. That said, if I was going to go out and buy a new VT3 or something like that, this would get very strong consideration

NorthWoodsDiver:
What we need is a heads up display (HUD) for the AGA mask, it wouldnt have to be wireless/hoseless either. even just a basic readout would be nice, I dont need all the fancy functions on my Cobra. Interspiro makes a type of HUD for firefighter use but is has no practical use in scuba. I ran into a situation today where having a HUD would have been ohhh sooo nice but oh well just another luxury to make you lazy I guess.
I actually thought about having a floating readout like that, where you did not even have to look down, but one step at a time.

deeper thoughts:
I would like to get one but am worried that the mask will not fit right and now I am stuck with an expensive ill fitting leakymask
According to the Oceanic rep, the mask was designed to fit 95% of the populace. We had about 15 divers on the boat, and it seemed to fit everyone. Mine fit very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom