Oceanic Code and Macs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since even Apple has realized the fact that software developement for Windows based systems is far ahead of the titles for any other operating system you'd think that the users would catch on.

I think a *lot* of people would disagree with this.

I'm sure my buddies at apple would have a thing to say about that comment too.

Most robust enterprise systems run on unix. Does that mean that oceanic should make unix compatible dive comps? --no, but there is no reason to get so harsh with the macs with comments like the above.

I think it is time for all dive computer companies to come to one communication standard and allow the third party programs to duke it out period. I am tired of poor interfaces and lack of true understand when you ask for pc/mac help. It is time for the old dogs that run the industry to wake up and get with the 2000's already.

I think a *lot* of people would disagree with this.

I'm sure my buddies at apple would have a thing to say about that comment too.

Most robust enterprise systems run on unix. Does that mean that oceanic should make unix compatible dive comps? --no, but there is no reason to get so harsh with the macs with comments like the above.

Since we are talking about software to run on a Personal Computer and the 2 most common types of personal computer are Mac & PC and since new Macs can run the Windows operating system natively and the PC is a more popular choice as per units sold and the most popular Operating system is Windows....I don't think it is harsh at all.

jeez. chill out man. they are only computers.

btw. platforms are done. its all about web based computing now, and regardless of operating system or back-end these applications need to run on anything: pc, mac, phone, appliance, my car stereo, whatever. There is nothing technological that should prevent an app from running on any hardware capable of running a browser.

jeez. chill out man. they are only computers.

btw. platforms are done. its all about web based computing now, and regardless of operating system or back-end these applications need to run on anything: pc, mac, phone, appliance, my car stereo, whatever. There is nothing technological that should prevent an app from running on any hardware capable of running a browser.

Your still a ways off from that my friend. There are too many incompatablities using browser based apps. Too much depends on the browser you are using oh and yes even the Personal Computer platform and operating system. You may be right 5 years or so down the road but that isn't quite the state of the technology yet. Plus when that day arrives you need to pay for your subscription to the apps. You'll still find a large base of users that will want their apps on their computer and no subscription.

we make software that does just that. its actually easier to make x-browser compatible software than OS specific software. It used to not be that way even just 3 years ago, but now its a breeze to create software like this. This forum is a perfect example. I can use vBulletin on a linux box, my phone, a mac, even a lab terminal running unbuntu. It really doesnt matter what I use to access the system since its hosted somewhere 'else'.

to get back on topic I would suggest oceanic take a hard look at a total re-factor or rewrite instead of incremental changes to the current code base. It would probably be faster to implement and give them more flexibility in the future. Its hard as a hardware manufacturer to make good software though (its hard to be good at more than one thing in reality) and oceanic should think of opening up some of the interfaces to the dive computer so others can write applications to handle the data. I am sure there would be many small organizations or individuals that would share royalties with oceanic to implement a web based solution.

Again not everyoone wants a web based solution.
A small group of people don't access the web.
Questions of security of information stored on the web.
No access to your info without the web.
Situations with limited access.
You'll still have hardware / software issues since download adapter drivers and their requirements.
Like I said we are years off and then get ready to pay the subscription costs.

A small group of people don't access the web.= unwashed masses. :D

i would be interested in the demographic data of someone who can afford a >$1000 dive computer but doesnt use the web.

reefduffer I guess you were around when the first download computer came out and it was not oceanic, suunto or uwatec. and I guess you talk to DAN at that time as well.

And their is equipment out their to analyze the protocols the manufacture are using and if you buy the protocol analyzers for the engineer out their then we could have better software.

If you're a Mac user and just need to download your dive data, buying a Sensus Ultra makes more sense to me than messing around with Parallels and Windows. Put in in your pocket, forget about until you get home. The OS X software works fine. I had to go the Parallels/XP route to support my X1, and it works for firmware downloads, but not for the logging program. I wouldn't have done it had there been any alternative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom