Oceanic Canada just sucks !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look guys it is very simple. The manufacturer makes a widget, he sells the widget in his country and offers warranty in his country. When the manufacturer sells the widget to a distributor in an another country it still has the same product name the distributor in the other country buys the widget for a $1.00. He then sells the widget to a retailer for a $1.05 and the retailer then sells the widget to a consumer for $1.10. When the widget breaks warranty is given to the widget purchased in that country because he made a profit on it a portion of which is set aside for warranty. If you buy the widget out of the country the country where the widget was purchasedfrom will be glad to give you warranty. Be smart and shop in Canada if you live in Canada.

If the item were brought to a local retailer, wouldn't that business simply send the item back to either the distributor or manufacturer for replacement? If this is correct, then the only "cost" to that business would be man hours (aside from not making an initial sale).

On the flip side, wouldn't they have the chance to:

1. Build a relationship by helping a diver, who might tell others about the shop.

2. Maybe the person has never been in the store. What a great opportunity to show a new (potential) customer how wonderful your shop, staff, and products are!

I'm not in the retail business, so please forgive my ignorance. This is simply my viewpoint as a consumer.

If the item were brought to a local retailer, wouldn't that business simply send the item back to either the distributor or manufacturer for replacement? If this is correct, then the only "cost" to that business would be man hours (aside from not making an initial sale).

On the flip side, wouldn't they have the chance to:

1. Build a relationship by helping a diver, who might tell others about the shop.

2. Maybe the person has never been in the store. What a great opportunity to show a new (potential) customer how wonderful your shop, staff, and products are!

I'm not in the retail business, so please forgive my ignorance. This is simply my viewpoint as a consumer.

The problem is the manufacturer will not honor the warranty if the item was not sold through proper channels. The distributors set up controlled areas where only a certain amount of dealers are permitted in that area and will only sell to authorized dealers. Unfortunately the LDS has to pay the price as indicated by the OP who has taken his anger out on the LDS who really has no control over what the manufacturer and distributors do.

I have always wondered why the manufacturer won't honor the warranty unless the item came thru proper channels?

Do the sellers in the improper channels try to damage the goods before selling them to a customer just to cause the manufacturer a problem?

Seems like if its such a big deal the manufacturer should figure out how all these units get into the hands of improper channels and cut off the distributor who is supplying them. I am pretty sure at some point these units all come from the same factory and pass thru the same distributor hands before they end up at either the authorized reseller or the place that is not authorized to sell them.

But I guess its just easier to blame the customer for buying a new unit at the best price he could find.

I am not really trying to start a big flame war about it just wondering how this happens.

In what world would a supplier have to warranty a product bought in a different country!!
I will put it in simple words for people who can't grasp difficult concepts. Oceanic WW sells product to a Canadian Distributor called Cross Country for x dollars he then sells it to a retailer (store) who then sells it to the consumer (guy who buys it), when there is a warranty problem customer takes it back to where he bought it (selling dealer) they will then send it back to the original distributer for warranty. In other words if you bought it in the US it goes back to the US. If you bought it in Canada it goes back to Canada.
So maybe you should keep your money in Canada, where we live, and then you can expect warranty on your items!!!
Another person thinking he should take money away from his Canadian neighbours and use to to help the American economy instead of ours!!
What you buy in the state has no warranty in Canada - never has and probably never will!!
Even better he calls himself an instructor!!

Well in most worlds except diving gear apparently.

OK :popcorn: ready?

Case in point:

We buy a Dell laptop in England with warranty then we emigrate to Australia.
A fault developes with the laptop during the warranty period.
We contact Dell within Australia
Dell check serial number and our details as original purchaser (sound familiar!)
Dell sends out tech who fixes problem
Customer happy and buys from them again.

Now the diving variation:

Customer buys from AUTHORISED dealer and sends or moves to a different country.
Customer has problem with Item
Distributor in new country checks details and says bought overseas - your problem
Result - unhappy customer who tells everybody!

A worldwide company should stand by their products no matter where they were bought and where you currently live or make a claim!
Subject to the very sensible caveat that if you don't buy from an official dealer you don't get support.

I am a citizen of 3 countries now - what can I say but I get bored and move on - so should I be penalised because I buy something in GOOD FAITH through the correct channels??

It is not my fault that some countries distributors keep prices artificially high! It is a global shopping world these days - move with the times or go the way of the dinosaur!

Anything else is just an often illegal method of maintaining high prices! I try to support the LDS by always giving them a chance at getting my money and do not expect an exact price match but I do expect them to try and get close to get my $$'s.

I do also find it less than amusing to hear the justification of price increase is a weak AU$, then when the AU$ strengthens a LOT prices don't come back down - funny that eh!

Old adage, do you want a small bite of something ($$'s) or a large bite of nothing?

Flame suit on!

Last edited:
This is my first post and I wish it were a more cheery one.

People keep coming back to 'grey market', Somebody didn't read his post. He bought the gear from Leisure Pro (an Oceanic Authorized dealer). According to the person I talked to at Oceanic, they have a worldwide warranty. I'd expect to at the very least be able to take my Oceanic gear to ANY oceanic dealer and have it repaired. That dealer should be reimbursed by Oceanic since they offered the warranty.

I recently went through the process of buying a new Oceanic reg and BCD from my LDS and I wouldn't have bought it there without being offered extra service to offset the price difference. Leisure Pro would have saved me about $500.

The days of price fixing by the manufacturers may be heading to an end and it may end up taking a few local shop with it. People can see exactly how much it costs for the services they get (or don't get) from their LDS.

Somebody didn't read his post.

First, welcome deo67! Nice to have another 'voice of reason' here.

Yes, this thread is one where there are two distinct views being proffered and little conversation -sigh- it is not hard to see those who have a vested interest in a protected marketplace where service and competition play no part in their world view, and then there are the rest of us. I am thinking there are members with agendas that are not always fully disclosed and their contributions seem a little tired really.

But don't let it turn you off SB... go over to the photo area... great stuff there!

I just checked the Oceanic site, LP is NOT listed as an authorized dealer. Am I blind?

Note: I but lots of gear from LP, I think they are a valuable resource but I just assume I have to go through them for their warranty. So far, they have always treated me right so not has not been a issue.

I just checked the Oceanic site...

Yes, I couldn't see it either! Considering the vast amount of product that they (LP) must sell on behalf of the manufacturer, if they didn't meet the standards set by that manufacturer to be an 'Authorized Dealer', and affixing this...

"Warranty Information
This product has a limited warranty of 24 months.
Oceanic Worldwide - Research and Compare the latest Scuba Diving Equipment and Snorkeling Gear
(800) 435-(XXXX)"

... to most Oceanic products (and they (Oceanic) must be aware of that) then that certainly would 'infer' they were Authorized, and if they weren't then the Legal Eagles at Oceanic have let the ball drop. I would think they should have issued a 'cease and Desist' letter by now, AND stop shipping the product to the outlet 'pretending' to be a Authorized Dealer.

As Oceanic obviously has not done this, and I doubt their lawyers are that lame, there must be more to the relationship than meets the eye. I would doubt LP pays for Oceanic gear gone bad, and I can see the local LDS's don't want LP listed - It is probably a delicate balance that Oceanic is maintaining.

But why the OP said it was on the Website and it is no longer there is strange.

Back
Top Bottom