Oceanic Canada just sucks !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kancho

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
From my other posts I had issues with my atom 2.0 Oceanic worldwide suggested that I should contact Oceanic Canada. They should have no problems taking in my unit since it was bought from an authorized dealer leisurepro (authorized about a month ago).

Oceanic Canada(Cross Country parts) wouldnt accept that Leisure Pro was an authorized dealer and I would have to send it back to them though I mentioned it is on Oceanic site that they were authorized and he can look at it, but he didn't seem to care. He wasn't going to warranty a product purchased at Leisure pro. Customer service doesn't exist in his vocabulary. It was borderline rude the attitude he projected.

Cross Country Parts seems to distribute alot of scuba gear and other stuff. I will most likely never buy from a Canadian store because of his attitude. If they are going to be only nice people that they totally ripped off, I don't need to shop here. I do purchase Items in Canada to support my local LDS but that is going to stop. Sorry LDS you have ass of a distributer who shows no customer service I can easily get my equipment in the US.

Oceanic USA was fairly nice though customs may be a pain when i get the unit back we will see.

You're sending it to Oceanic WW in California, right?

Sorry that the guy at Oceanic Canada was a jerk, but Oceanic WW will fix you right up!

Yup the watch is on it way there now. Oceanic WW was so much more helpful. Too bad they need a distributer to be the contact for support in Canada. This is my 2nd time having problems with Cross Country Parts. My LDS needed to order my Dry Suit but it took way too long to get it (Cross Country Parts) and I am not even certain it was new. Oh well.. That is what I get for buying in Canada.

I suppose you could buy from ScubaToys or other online retailers, but import taxes are pretty high. Of course, that wouldn't solve your support issue anyway.

I'm glad to hear Oceanic WW is taking care of you though! They're a great bunch of folks.

In what world would a supplier have to warranty a product bought in a different country!!
I will put it in simple words for people who can't grasp difficult concepts. Oceanic WW sells product to a Canadian Distributor called Cross Country for x dollars he then sells it to a retailer (store) who then sells it to the consumer (guy who buys it), when there is a warranty problem customer takes it back to where he bought it (selling dealer) they will then send it back to the original distributer for warranty. In other words if you bought it in the US it goes back to the US. If you bought it in Canada it goes back to Canada.
So maybe you should keep your money in Canada, where we live, and then you can expect warranty on your items!!!
Another person thinking he should take money away from his Canadian neighbours and use to to help the American economy instead of ours!!
What you buy in the state has no warranty in Canada - never has and probably never will!!
Even better he calls himself an instructor!!

I will most likely never buy from a Canadian store because of his attitude. If they are going to be only nice people that they totally ripped off, I don't need to shop here. I do purchase Items in Canada to support my local LDS but that is going to stop. Sorry LDS you have ass of a distributer .

Yeah apparently they also have some ass customers. So you are going to punish your LDS because Oceanic would not honour your grey-market warranty.
Probably your LDS dodged a bullet.

In what world would a supplier have to warranty a product bought in a different country!

Interestingly, in my world this has happened a time or two - But not with dive gear. And both times I needed help I had traveled from the place I purchased (Canada) to a new country (UK) - people do travel - and it is not 'good business' to penalize everyone to save a buck, as you will probably loose two. The two companies in the UK (where customer service generally means more than in Canada) have my utmost respect and ardent brand loyalty. You could not BUY that kind of loyalty that you get when you do a customer* a service that the customer knows is above and beyond what is 'legally required' of the distributor/manufacturer. Alas Canada (see Air Canada for example) has a way to go yet in realizing these benefits, and our neighbors are getting richer from our joint lack of 'effort' - I am sad to say.

Yeah apparently they also have some ass customers. So you are going to punish your LDS because Oceanic would not honour your grey-market warranty.
Probably your LDS dodged a bullet.

I do not understand - 'grey-market warranty' - Is this what LP issues? But if it is on the website of the Manufacturer... What is this? It is not warrantied?

I agree the LDS does seem to be given a raw deal here, but the LDS's in the US must have a far harder time of it, trying to compete with large scale distro's like LP with low US to US mailing rates, and no country to country border to offer protection.

On a dollar value I shop LDS 2/3 and Mail 1/3 and I support and return to every 'outlet' I perceive to offer reasonable value and customer support. As a retailer, if you have the latter, the perception of the former is in your control. If you do not aggressively radiate the latter - you are bankrupt.

I do not understand - 'grey-market warranty' - Is this what LP issues? But if it is on the website of the Manufacturer... What is this? It is not warrantied?

They warranty the products they sell in-house. At least the ones they are not authorized by the manufacturer to sell such as Aqualung and Scubapro. That means if a product fails they eat the loss and give you a new one or make repairs.
I am not sure what Oceanic's policy for online sales is these days but I know Cross Country only sold Oceanic product to authorized dealers in Canada. They were the distributor who would take care of warranty issues on their stuff. If someone buys from a non authorized dealer such as Leisure pro then they would not get the benefit of manufacturer's warranty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom