Oceanic Alpha 7 PX2 or look elsewhere?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petitediver

Reaction score
Hi,

I am slowly buying my first set of dive gear. I have about 15 dives to date. I was wondering what anyone thought about the Oceanic Alpha 7 PX2 reg? I can get a really good deal at my LDS, but was wondering if I should save my money up and buy a better one later. All of my dives except for my Open Water dives have been in warm water. I did my OW cert in the frigid waters of the Puget Sound. I don't know how much diving I am planning on doing in the NW if any at all. I seem to remember that this reg is not environmentally sealed? Do you think it would behoove me to buy a nicer regulator that I can grow with as a diver? Meaning, if later on I decide to get more training, will this reg be sufficient? Or, should I look at other options. If so, any other suggestions for a good performance reg that won't break the bank? Thanks.

petitediver:
Hi,

I am slowly buying my first set of dive gear. I have about 15 dives to date. I was wondering what anyone thought about the Oceanic Alpha 7 PX2 reg? .

Tha Alpha 7 gets a very good reviews in the regulator tests on Divernet (their website seems to be playing up at present- I will post the link when I can get through). They put the budget Alpha 7 up against a range of top of the line regs from various maufacturers and found it performed as well as many of the most expensive regs. I haven't used one myself so can't comment further. The PX2 first stage is unbalanced (although the test results would seem to indicate this isn't a problem). If you wanted you could get the Alpha 7 second stage on a balanced Oceanic first stage (but this would increase the cost).

BlueDevil:
Tha Alpha 7 gets a very good reviews in the regulator tests on Divernet (their website seems to be playing up at present- I will post the link when I can get through). They put the budget Alpha 7 up against a range of top of the line regs from various maufacturers and found it performed as well as many of the most expensive regs. I haven't used one myself so can't comment further. The PX2 first stage is unbalanced (although the test results would seem to indicate this isn't a problem). If you wanted you could get the Alpha 7 second stage on a balanced Oceanic first stage (but this would increase the cost).

Blue Devil you stand to be corrected. The PX2 first stage is a balance piston. The unbalance piston you are refering to is SP4. I have the exact same setup-Alpha 7 and PX2. Great performance. Great durability. No complaints. I thought I had problems with dealer support where I'm at but after doing some homework, I found an Oceanic dealer where I live. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom