Ocean Rover SOLD????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic67

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My DH & I were scheduled to spent Christmas 2008 on the MV Ocean Rover for a 10 day trip. We received a call last night that the boat had been sold & our trip cancelled. We are disapointed to say the least as it was a trip of a lifetime...However, if our biggest problem in life is that we have to plan another increadible dive vacation...not bad problems to have. So my question is... Has anyone ever had any experience with the Mermaid 1? We are looking at their 9 day itinerary as an option. Would love to hear from some folks that have gone out with them. Also has anyone gone out late Dec-early Jan? What were conditions like.

Chiara

Count down to Palau...91 days, 1 1/2 days of insane flights & a bag drag WHOOOOHOOO!!!

Late December to early January, weather should be nice (no rain, blue skys, hot) maybe a bit crowded especially around the land resort areas of Phuket.

Any idea if the Rover is staying in the area - i.e. you could rebook with the new owners?

I've dived that 9-day trip on the MMI. It was a good trip. But there are other boats than MMI going to Burma, and you should consider several before you make your final decision.

Late December/early January is high peak time here, so boats/resorts/towns all get busy. By that time the monsoon is blowing from the northeast (meaning flat water, lots of sunshine).

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago - I was booked, and paid, on the Viking of the Orient. It wasn't sold then, but they cancelled because of problems. It's been sold in the meantime I think, or at least it was up for sale last year, the last time I heard about it.
In any event, the first time I rebooked on the Mermaid 2 and had a very nice time indeed. The Mermaid 1 is supposed to be even more luxurious AFAIK. The Mermaid 2 wasn't bad!

I refuse to go to Burma though because of the amount of money you have to pay to their government - I won't support that regime. For me Thailand diving is great - the Andaman Safari dives are fantastic.

Is this really true? There is no indication on their website.

I am working w/ Reef & Rainforest. I have no reason not to believe them. They said that it looked like the new owners would not be in Phuket.

We are on the Ocean Rover later this year. Our travel agent indicated that the Ocean Rover will continue to operate in Thailand for the upcoming season and then move, most likely to Northern Sulawesi. Too bad, the crew on the Ocean Rover has always been one of the best.

The crew of the Ocean Rover has been one of its best features. Unfortunately if the boat goes to Indonesia that will change. On the other hand, I really like diving in Indonesia and it could become a really first class liveaboard in that area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom