Occidental Pier Fee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s drastic! The Occidental is a nice resort and ProDive runs a very professional outfit from there.
Personally, I don't agree the definition of a "professional outfit" is one that harasses hotel customers to have their OP give them a couple $'s or threaten to forbid them to pick me up. Petty BS would be my description of that outfit. And yes, I'll cross out staying at Occidental again for allowing this at their property as I don't think ProDive actually owns that pier. JMHO

Not good. I'm going there tomorrow and didn't know Occidental was also pulling that BS. Was planning to dive with Christi and she never mentioned this. I little too late for me to change my plans and hope I can hold my temper if someone tries to nickle and dime me to death. This will fall on Occidental even though I have a feeling it's Pro Dive pull this stunt.

Didn’t mention it because we haven’t received a notification about it - we got a notice from ProDive at allegro a few days ago but it only mentioned Allegro.

ANOAAT will be addressing his issue with hotels. Going forward we will be discouraging divers from staying at the all-inclusive resorts that are participating in this practice and will provide other lodging options for our guests.

Pro Dive was handing out notices at the begining of october to boats who were stopping at the occidental pier stating that they were going to be charging $3 per diver starting in november. Pretty much all piers in the marine park are charging now with exception of El Presidente and Money Bar.

Cozumel Palace, Hotel Cozumel, Blue Angel, Casa del Mar, La Ceiba/El Cid, Park Royal, fiesta Americana, Presidente do not charge fees for their guests staying at the hotels to be picked up by Shop of choice.

For clarification, Park royal does not have a pier, so there is a fee to use the pier across the street - however, they make it easy on the divers by allowing them to purchase a weekly or daily passes.

That’s drastic! The Occidental is a nice resort and ProDive runs a very professional outfit from there.

Not to argue, but a sincere question. Have you stayed anywhere else on the island and have you experienced other, locally owned dive shops?

Not to argue, but a sincere question. Have you stayed anywhere else on the island and have you experienced other, locally owned dive shops?
Yes we have numerous times in the past, but the last three visit were to the Occidental because the wifey and family like it there...happy wife, happy dad! I've posted our reasons in the past....And I'll add that I wouldn't hesitate to use your services as well if the need presented itself.

Here’s the deal – I take my entire family to Cozumel as soon as the grandkids get out of school for the summer each year. We usually stay at Occidental for eight or nine days. Currently, there are five of us who dive (more are added each year). The remainder of the group enjoy beach activities. We usually make one two-tank dive per day (sometimes more) and one or two night dives during the week. For our 2019 trip, I will be buying approximately 65 or 70 dives. Since Grandpa (that's me, living on a fixed income) pays, I have to be very cost conscious. Although I would love to dive with Christi, Dave, 3P, DWM, or any of the other great dive ops on the island, paying an extra $10 to $20 per dive is just something that I cannot afford. Maybe one day.

Here’s the deal – I take my entire family to Cozumel as soon as the grandkids get out of school for the summer each year. We usually stay at Occidental for eight or nine days. Currently, there are five of us who dive (more are added each year). The remainder of the group enjoys beach activities. We usually make one two-tank dive per day (sometimes more) and one or two night dives during the week. For our 2019 trip, I will be buying approximately 65 or 70 dives. Since Grandpa (that's me, living on a fixed income) pays, I have to be very cost conscious. Although I would love to dive with Christi, Dave, 3P, DWM, or any of the other great dive ops on the island, paying an extra $10 to $20 per dive is just something that I cannot afford. Maybe one day.
Another sincere question. How cheap do you buy dives?

Dave, agree would be for better for diver to pay but this occurance they refused take the money from the divers and would only take it from the DM (dive op). Maybe a one time occurance since it was just put in place. It is not the $3 or $5, it was that they would not let the diver pay. Better of staying up North.

Another sincere question. How cheap do you buy dives?
ProDive will offer you as cheap as $32/dive with FREE NITROX....no one else on the island comes close, but the cost of diving isnt the one reason we stay at the GO...its a very nice place to relax, dive, enjoy a great beach and the AI food is very good. The employees are all fantastic and friendly. We have made some good friends with the DM from the shop and make it a point to take them out to dinner in town one or two nights during our stay!

All in all the GO works for us..not to say another place wouldn't, but why change if your happy?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom