Observed an OW class yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the thing.

ScubaBoard is different. Less than 1% of divers participate here and overall it is an elite segment of recreational diving as a whole. It is made up of doctors., instructors, cave divers, captains, industry pioneers and leaders, and other people who write in complete sentences and care deeply about diving. . . .

Great post, but I would caution against getting the idea that the 1% here is "right" and most of the others are "wrong." I don't believe in elitism.

but I would caution against getting the idea that the 1% here is "right" and most of the others are "wrong."
Actually, I think that's a fair assumption. People on any forum air their ideas in such a manner that others feel compelled to correct them. Give the wrong account of what happened, and you'll be hit by those who know better. In the "real world", that sort of gossip gets repeated over and over with no challenges. There's a bumper sticker that simply makes me bristle: Dive more, post less". WTF? People who post nonsense here at least get corrected. But the very people who sport that sticker spread malicious gossip quicker than a flea hops on a dog. I've stopped going to a shop that keeps giving me that sticker every time I show up. They're attacking a problem that doesn't exist here. Gosh I hate that kind of ignorance at that level.

They're attacking a problem that doesn't exist here. Gosh I hate that kind of ignorance at that level.
I'd have to respectfully disagree with your sentiments. There are plenty of divers online who dive and post a lot, there are also plenty of Internet divers...

There's a bumper sticker that simply makes me bristle: Dive more, post less". WTF?
BTW, the motivation for that sticker had little if anything to do with this board. It was directed at online "cave divers" in general who frequently talked out their rears on a different forum and was meant to be funny.

BTW, the motivation for that sticker had little if anything to do with this board.
Yet, it includes us, which I find to be patently unfair. It's just part and parcel of the meanness towards others that a few in the cave community seem to enjoy. We don't need more slap downs. We don't need more stand offishness. That's the problem with the Cave Community and I do resent it. We need to be more inclusive and not exclusionary.

Great post, but I would caution against getting the idea that the 1% here is "right" and most of the others are "wrong." I don't believe in elitism.

First of all, ScubaBoard does not speak with one voice. Not everyone agrees. Not everyone is right. I would imagine that not everyone is a good diver. So it would be mistaken to think that "ScubaBoard" is right when there is such diversity of thought.

And I would agree that there is some stuff that is a big deal on ScubaBoard that is either wrong or irrelevant. If we look back in the archives 10-15 years we could probably find some widely accepted advocacy for decompression models that have now been thoroughly debunked, and some insistence that HP cylinders will never be accepted by serious divers, and some claims that dive computers have no place in technical diving. Who knows what we'll find 10-15 years from now. Maybe BP/Ws and brass and glass SPGs will be out of fashion.

But the consistent difference between typical divers and ScubaBoard is that a great deal of thought and energy and discussion goes into making these choices. I think it's fair to say that nearly everyone who posts regularly is pursuing excellence in diving in some fashion, and is informed regarding the state of the industry and the best instructional practices. Not everyone who posts here dives the same way or is a great diver, but everyone thinks more about diving and is more intentional about diving than the average diver or even the average instructor.

I agree with what you said. My only niggle is that perhaps we should not judge the "typical divers" who do NOT put a great deal of thought and energy into making choices. Like you, I believe all the debate, analysis and introspection that goes on here is good, but I try to be cautious about judging all those other divers out there who simply do not believe that "pursuing excellence" is important. Most of them are having fun, not dying, and not even tearing up the reef as much as we here might be led to believe.

But the consistent difference between typical divers and ScubaBoard is that a great deal of thought and energy and discussion goes into making these choices. . . .

I agree with what you said. My only niggle is that perhaps we should not judge the "typical divers" who do NOT put a great deal of thought and energy into making choices. Like you, I believe all the debate, analysis and introspection that goes on here is good, but I try to be cautious about judging all those other divers out there who simply do not believe that "pursuing excellence" is important. Most of them are having fun, not dying, and not even tearing up the reef as much as we here might be led to believe.

Lorenzoid, thank you. What you said is so true, and unfortunately applies to every sport and hobby that I have seen. That is why so few people are really good at whatever endeavor they are attempting, whether it be work or playtime related. For most people, being an expert or even highly skilled is not worth the effort, and if the effort interferes with their fun, you know which path they are going to follow. And I also agree with your philosophy about not ridiculing or judging someone that may not be performing up to our hopes or expectations, but is having fun. Just having fun is underrated!

And I also agree with your philosophy about not ridiculing or judging someone that may not be performing up to our hopes or expectations, but is having fun. Just having fun is underrated!
I agree with this. However, it's not a bad idea to identify the person who's possibly going to ruin your fun. Reasons to pay attention to other divers:
  1. To identify accidents before they happen.
  2. To ID gear so you will better know how to assist them if needed.
  3. To broaden your horizons to other methods.
  4. To choose the best insta-buddy for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom