Observed an OW class yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. Since something like a couple of years ago there has been the option of taking Fundies in two parts.

Fundamentals 1 & 2?
Ah, just haven't seen it offered in my area like that (to the best of my knowledge).

I was at a local quarry yesterday where I've not been before. Observed a shop conducting OW dives.

...I have no clue how the instructors let them get in the water like that..

Now you've seen what the rest of the diving world is like.

Welcome back to the 1%.

That seems about right. I suspect that there are some instructors who may be acting as if it's a gatekeeper course nowadays, from all the course reports I've read on here.
It is the tech gatekeeper course. No tech pass, no tech courses.

It is the tech gatekeeper course. No tech pass, no tech courses.

It can be useful even if you don't pass! We took it and it was the best thing we ever did -- mostly due to the quality of the instructor -- but we didn't finish, and therefore didn't pass. Money well spent!

- Bill

Heya all:

What's all the Marie flaming about?
Here is what I know:
- She is done and looking for a fork.
- She is a new diver who has had quite an uphill battle getting where she is and she is not the least bit shy bearing her soul about it in search of advise, opinion and maybe also just to share.
- She does work her butt off indeed. I mean whoever works that hard just to get to around dive 25...
- And she just keeps chugging along trying to figure it out and trying to improve, pretty much no matter what...
- And some here really help her out. Great Place this SB.
- And BTW, I personally know one person who is quite inspired by Marie's struggle and her battling on no matter what. My wife. A timid, formerly horrendesly, now still somewhat watershy (yet) non-diver... I tried a lot over the years to change that. I recently got quite some advice too (thanks all). Strangely enough Marie and her struggle were the most motivating thing to my wife on that front.... so far.
- It seems that some just can't handle how a more then them scuba challenged newcomer dares to be part of this community and thinks it's OK to have an opinion without checking with the scuba opinion police first...
- So she observes, opines and asks and maybe not all is always politically correct... and some may also just be wrong... ... so is a lot of other stuff here. So?
- But in this case if tech instructor & Herodiver with 8987 logged dives had observed in essence the same thing just in cool professional dive hero lingo, he would have gotten pros and cons to. But a lot less flamingly and with more respect. And he earned it. So that then makes it OK to just be disrespectful to newcomers who overstep the bounds that you deem they shall stay within? Because they have to earn it first or something? C'mon... but OK, flame away, you are entitled to. But come on how is saying something to the effect of "you don't even have 25 logged dives how dare you have an opinion" differ from "well, you're a woman..." or... (not going there).
If you got to attack (it's OK, I get it), attack the point, not the person....
- I admit it. At this point I am biased. I got a wife in this race.
Anyway, nothing changed, nor will anything change , but for some strange reason I feel slightly better. And @Marie13, thanks for keeping on trying tirelessly and for being the inspiration that makes you to my wife.

Last edited:
Heya all:

Here is what I know:
- She is ...

- She has a gun, knows how to use it, and lives within shooting distance of some of us.

Never leave out the really important parts.

- She has a gun, knows how to use it, and lives within shooting distance of some of us.

Never leave out the really important parts.

gun(s) :p- which have been sadly neglected since I took up diving.

:m16:

Last edited:
Heya all:

Here is what I know:
- She is a new diver who has had quite an uphill battle getting where she is and she is not the least bit shy bearing her soul about it in search of advise, opinion and maybe also just to share.
- She does work her butt off indeed. I mean whoever works that hard just to get to around dive 25...
- And she just keeps chugging along trying to figure it out and trying to improve, pretty much no matter what...
- And some here really help her out. Great Place this SB.
- And BTW, I personally know one person who is quite inspired by Marie's struggle and her battling on no matter what. My wife. A timid, formerly horrendesly, now still somewhat watershy (yet) non-diver... I tried a lot over the years to change that. I recently got quite some advice too (thanks all). Strangely enough Marie and her struggle were the most motivating thing to my wife on that front.... so far.
- It seems that some just can't handle how a more then them scuba challenged newcomer dares to be part of this community and thinks it's OK to have an opinion without checking with the scuba opinion police first...
- So she observes, opines and asks and maybe not all is always politically correct... and some may also just be wrong... ... so is a lot of other stuff here. So?
- But in this case if tech instructor & Herodiver with 8987 logged dives had observed in essence the same thing just in cool professional dive hero lingo, he would have gotten pros and cons to. But a lot less flamingly and with more respect. And he earned it. So that then makes it OK to just be disrespectful to newcomers who overstep the bounds that you deem they shall stay within? Because they have to earn it first or something? C'mon... but OK, flame away, you are entitled to. But come on how is saying something to the effect of "you don't even have 25 logged dives how dare you have an opinion" differ from "well, you're a woman..." or... (not going there).
If you got to attack (it's OK, I get it), attack the point, not the person....
- I admit it. At this point I am biased. I got a wife in this race.
Anyway, nothing changed, nor will anything change , but for some strange reason I feel slightly better. And @Marie13, thanks for keeping on trying tirelessly and for being the inspiration that makes you to my wife.

:D :flowers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom