Oasis of the Seas arriving in Cozumel on Thursday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also think that the Oasis was designed in such a way that a significant number of passengers will never leave the ship in port. They do everything they can to provide activities on board so you never feel the need to leave.

I have relatives in South Florida who take last minute cruises often and never leave the ship as they have been to those ports so often on the traditional eastern/western cruises.

I can appreciate what you're saying. I just can't agree that the cruise ship industry is the best thing for Cozumel.

I agree with you in part but for different reasons. But reduce or eliminate the cruises and how does the island create its wealth? There's no distribution network or depth of natural resources here to attract large-scale manufacturing, distribution, agriculture or mining. Mexico and Cozumel are too restrictive & expensive for backroom service-industry centers.

I think that the cruise industry has influenced domestic policies and practices here way too much. Yet without an alternative, the municipality needs to grab whatever business it can and make the best of it.

I know most people are against the cruise ships and I can't say I am in favor of them but they aren't going anywhere so I at least hope people get off the ship and spend lots of money while they are in port.

Has anyone had a chance to take a picture of the ship along side one of the normal size cruise ships? I am curious to see how big it really is.

If not for a port call to Cozumel on a cruise we were on 7+ years ago, I would never have had a reason to come to Cozumel or likely even knew it existed.

Because of that one visit and introductory dive excursion:
7 certified divers in my immediate family, all 7 completed their open water certs using Cozumel dive operators.
9 certified divers in my group of friends, 6 completing their open water certs using Cozumel dive operators.
70+ days renting at El Cantil, supporting the local economy
21+ days renting rooms at hotels in town, supporting the local economy
300+ dinner meals purchased in town
300+ lunch meals purchased at beach clubs during intervals
150+ tank fills, fees paid
$15,000+ paid to Cozumel dive operators that employ locals
Thousands of dollars of souvenirs bought from locals
Thousands of dollars of tips given directly to great DM's, captains, maids, bellboys.
4 lionfish spotted and killed

Although I'm sure the bygone days of a sleepy little fishing town with incredible diving is nostalgic for many, the truth is that port calls will likely provide for Cozumel to survive in the long run. I've met many people that returned to Cozumel because an 8 hour visit was not enough. When the economy is tourism based, how can you be upset when more tourists come?

When the economy tanked and the H1N1 flue hit and the cruise ships stopped coming to Cozumel the island just about sh*t itself. People were just about panicked that their world had come to an end on the island.

Love em or hate em, Cozumel needs to decide what type of deal with the devil they want to make. Enact a well thought out policy in regard to controlled growth. The window of opportunity is just about over with, with the arrival of the Oasis, with other cruise lines building ships of this size, this is just the beginning of the next wave to come.

By-the-way, I'll be on that monster in September. He he.

If not for a port call to Cozumel on a cruise we were on 7+ years ago, I would never have had a reason to come to Cozumel or likely even knew it existed.

Because of that one visit and introductory dive excursion:
7 certified divers in my immediate family, all 7 completed their open water certs using Cozumel dive operators.
9 certified divers in my group of friends, 6 completing their open water certs using Cozumel dive operators.
70+ days renting at El Cantil, supporting the local economy
21+ days renting rooms at hotels in town, supporting the local economy
300+ dinner meals purchased in town
300+ lunch meals purchased at beach clubs during intervals
150+ tank fills, fees paid
$15,000+ paid to Cozumel dive operators that employ locals
Thousands of dollars of souvenirs bought from locals
Thousands of dollars of tips given directly to great DM's, captains, maids, bellboys.
4 lionfish spotted and killed

Although I'm sure the bygone days of a sleepy little fishing town with incredible diving is nostalgic for many, the truth is that port calls will likely provide for Cozumel to survive in the long run. I've met many people that returned to Cozumel because an 8 hour visit was not enough. When the economy is tourism based, how can you be upset when more tourists come?

Ditto for us- We had never heard of Cozumel but in 1991 we were given a free cruise and it went to Cozumel. So if it were not for that free cruise we wouldn't know about COZ. I am not even going to guess how much $$$ we have spent there, regardless it is the ONLY dive destination we go to. Jean in MO

06052010882275697n.jpg

Would you like it super sized?:cool2:

Ditto for us- We had never heard of Cozumel but in 1991 we were given a free cruise and it went to Cozumel. So if it were not for that free cruise we wouldn't know about COZ. I am not even going to guess how much $$$ we have spent there, regardless it is the ONLY dive destination we go to. Jean in MO

me too..Although I discovered Roatan as well, which I am making my 2nd trip back to this month..with Cozumel again in the fall for my annual trip there.

While we didn't visit the first time by boat, we have also made four visits by cruise ship. While we still cruise, we have decided the larger ships are not for us & have gravitated to the sailing ships of Star Clippers. We keep hoping they will eventually return to the Yucatan, Belize & Honduras itinerary.

Mike

Attachments

• star flyer.jpg
    star flyer.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 28
...the whole cruise ship concept is something I'll never understand...you couldn't pay me to go on one of those things! Sure, the engineering itself is impressive, but to me, the whole point of a dive vacation is to get AWAY from the big city, and NOT bring the big city along with me! YUCK!

Attachments

• oasis_titanic.jpg
    oasis_titanic.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom