Oasis of the Seas arriving in Cozumel on Thursday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ship made its first stop in Costa Maya today. It is schedule to be there a couple time a month. At least Cozumel has a bit more infrastucture.

Any way you look at it, still a boat load of people.

The pier in Costa Maya can handle 3 ships a time. With all berts full, that is about 10,000 people. For Costa Maya may be lucky to have 2,000 permanent residents.

Seem like these large ship really stress the local environment.

Hope for the best any place this ship docks.

Boooooooooooooooooo
nuff said

Love it or hate, the boat just docked and I have to say. . . That is one monster of an environmental disaster.

Oh, wow, it will be in port on the day we are leaving Coz. I guess we won't do any morning shopping in San Miguel that day. It will be interesting to see the monster.

What makes it an environmental disaster??
That many more people being offloaded on an already small island. This ship has double the passenger capacity of the average cruise ship that comes in. With them comes the excess trash, water use and general people impact on the land and sea. Then there's the increase in motor vehicles that the rental shops are bringing in for them to use. From moto's to dune buggies to jeeps. We also now have an even greater threat of a devastating environmental catastrophe by adding another ship, and the worlds largest cruise ship no less, to already overcrowded, and still recovering from Wilma waters. These reasons and many others make it, in my opinion, an environmental disaster. Not to mention the fact that they tore-up a good chunk of Paradise reef to put in the pier that these monster cruise ships dock at.

That many more people being offloaded on an already small island. This ship has double the passenger capacity of the average cruise ship that comes in. With them comes the excess trash, water use and generalhttp://www.scubaboard.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=5227789 people impact on the land and sea. Then there's the increase in motor vehicles that the rental shops are bringing in for them to use. From moto's to dune buggies to jeeps. We also now have an even greater threat of a devastating environmental catastrophe by adding another ship, and the worlds largest cruise ship no less, to already overcrowded, and still recovering from Wilma waters. These reasons and many others make it, in my opinion, an environmental disaster. Not to mention the fact that they tore-up a good chunk of Paradise reef to put in the pier that these monster cruise ships dock at.

The facts:
1. Cozumel can dock 7 cruise ships per day. It's infrastructure can handle up to 13 with an average passenger load of over 2000 per plus large numbers of crew. Oasis will visit Cozumel every other week during the low season. Her crew to passenger ratio is less than most other ships. Yesterday, when the Oasis was in, there were 3 other ships in port and one was a small Carnival ship. If we count Oasis passengers and crew as 2 ships, the number of people being served is still well within normal ranges. And many people here are able to continue working and earning a living during low season due to this ship's presence.

2. The number of rental vehicles, taxis, and people who may use Coz's waters is finite. I didn't see any overcrowded streets or extra masses in the water due to this ship. Melgar in front of the SSA pier was tied up by rubberneckers who wanted to see the ship, but traffic flow wasn't stopped. Most of the passengers went on excursions, to nearby bars, or stayed within the pier complex. A few went to town. No different than any other day, except for fewer cruisers around in total due to seasonality. I don't get the Wilma reference at all...

3. Excess trash: As far as from the ship, no. The ship was designed to significantly reduce its environmental impact and has containment, treatment and recycling facilities. On land, there are always those who drop trash -- but most are either locals or drunk and the city has a huge force of street sweepers to follow and clean up. (Employment!) Island cleanliness is very important to the government to encourage tourism. And it has improved vastly over the past 5 years.

4. Water use: Yes, our sanitation system is overburdened and every flush counts. It's up to the municipality to handle that one. The aquifer is in great shape after recent downpours and we're coming into the rainy season, so plenty of water is available.

5. Paradiso North, unfortunately, was sacrificed for commercial purposes long ago and continues to be mangled bit by bit. It's a cryin' shame, but the damages were due to economic & political imperatives that overruled protectionist concerns. The Puerta Maya and TransCaribe projects -- and the sand dredging in the north -- are personally very offensive but I can't put the blame on the companies or ships that use facilities once they are built.

Finally, Oasis passengers are affluent and it's hoped that they will help an economy in the doldrums. That's a very important and laudable thing if the gamble pays off. One of the best things that can be done for Cozumel's environment is to increase the affluence, education and influence of its citizenry.

Last edited:
The facts:

Finally, Oasis passengers are affluent and it's hoped that they will help an economy in the doldrums. That's a very important and laudable thing if the gamble pays off. One of the best things that can be done for Cozumel's environment is to increase the affluence, education and influence of its citizenry.

Wow well said Deb.

The facts:
1. Cozumel can dock 7 cruise ships per day. It's infrastructure can handle up to 13 with an average passenger load of over 2000 per plus large numbers of crew. Oasis will visit Cozumel every other week during the low season. Her crew to passenger ratio is less than most other ships. Yesterday, when the Oasis was in, there were 3 other ships in port and one was a small Carnival ship. If we count Oasis passengers and crew as 2 ships, the number of people being served is still well within normal ranges. And many people here are able to continue working and earning a living during low season due to this ship's presence.

2. The number of rental vehicles, taxis, and people who may use Coz's waters is finite. I didn't see any overcrowded streets or extra masses in the water due to this ship. Melgar in front of the SSA pier was tied up by rubberneckers who wanted to see the ship, but traffic flow wasn't stopped. Most of the passengers went on excursions, to nearby bars, or stayed within the pier complex. A few went to town. No different than any other day, except for fewer cruisers around in total due to seasonality. I don't get the Wilma reference at all...

3. Excess trash: As far as from the ship, no. The ship was designed to significantly reduce its environmental impact and has containment, treatment and recycling facilities. On land, there are always those who drop trash -- but most are either locals or drunk and the city has a huge force of street sweepers to follow and clean up. (Employment!) Island cleanliness is very important to the government to encourage tourism. And it has improved vastly over the past 5 years.

4. Water use: Yes, our sanitation system is overburdened and every flush counts. It's up to the municipality to handle that one. The aquifer is in great shape after recent downpours and we're coming into the rainy season, so plenty of water is available.

5. Paradiso North, unfortunately, was sacrificed for commercial purposes long ago and continues to be mangled bit by bit. It's a cryin' shame, but the damages were due to economic & political imperatives that overruled protectionist concerns. The Puerta Maya and TransCaribe projects -- and the sand dredging in the north -- are personally very offensive but I can't put the blame on the companies or ships that use facilities once they are built.

I can appreciate what you're saying. I just can't agree that the cruise ship industry is the best thing for Cozumel.

For the people of Cozumel, I would think the cruise industry supporting the economy would be better than the alternative. How many more flights a day would be required to bring in that many people and how many mega resorts would need to be built to support that many people. Now THAT would be an environmental disaster waiting to happen. The effect of runoff on the reefs would be terrible. Obviously if they wanted that type of developement, they would have pushed through the Trump deal.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom