Oasis of the Seas arriving in Cozumel on Thursday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

one massive ship or 3-4 semi-massive ships...what's the diff?

I would think you can only have so many ships docked based on pier space. So it's more like 1 to 1. Do you want 6300 passengers swarming off? Or maybe only 2000 swarming off. And as someone that has taken a number of cruises in my day, I'd much rather be on a smaller ship so I can enjoy the ocean and the ports. I don't see much point in traveling on a ship so huge I need roller skates to get from one end to the other, and it takes 2 hours to get off at any port. I would think tendering would be a real nightmare.

We basically do what Budaman suggest ... dive during the day, take an afternoon siesta, then head to town for dinner. Also if you go to places back in the hood, the cruisers rarely ever stray too far from the downtown area, so you don't see them anyway.

Speaking of tendering.....the Oasis class can't call on Grand Cayman because the tenders they use there aren't compatable with those ships. Unfortunately, in the quest to increase Cayman's cruise revenue, they are considering building berthing piers to handle this new generation of ships.

Mike

Great looks like all downtown sunsets will be canceled on the days that COW is in town.

Make sure you are south of the dock or the sunsets will only be for the 8000 on the ship.
Looks like the Hotels are blocking beach access and the ships stealing the sun.

Glad I am scheduled to be underwater in two weeks when she is suppose to be there next.:mooner:

Speaking of tendering.....the Oasis class can't call on Grand Cayman because the tenders they use there aren't compatable with those ships. Unfortunately, in the quest to increase Cayman's cruise revenue, they are considering building berthing piers to handle this new generation of ships.

Mike

Oasis OTS does not have tenders, she must dock everywhere she goes.

These are her lifeboats, They hold more passengers (370) than some of the smaller cruise ships. :0

oasis-lifeboat.jpg

Last edited:
Been waiting a long time for this ship. Tomorrow I will stand in the hot sun on that pier to solicit donations from Oasis' passengers & crew...Oh Happy Day! :grinbandit:

Great looks like all downtown sunsets will be canceled on the days that COW is in town.

Make sure you are south of the dock or the sunsets will only be for the 8000 on the ship.
Looks like the Hotels are blocking beach access and the ships stealing the sun.

Funny you mentioned sunsets. When the cruise ships first came to Key West it was agreed they would leave before sunset.

Based on a visit a while ago that agreement must be null and void

Been waiting a long time for this ship. Tomorrow I will stand in the hot sun on that pier to solicit donations from Oasis' passengers & crew...Oh Happy Day! :grinbandit:
Well there's one possible benefit from the huge crowd! Hope it goes well for you!!

Jen - To answer question on the other forum: The ship will dock. The SSA pier is 14 meters deep and 810 meters long. It can accommodate one each Oasis class ship and Freedom class ship simultaneously. There's also a smaller pier at the terminal that can handle two ships at a time -- that one's used by excursion ops, tenders and private vessels. Security will be very high tomorrow as city & state dignitaries will roll out the red carpet to welcome Oasis and many local people have been invited to board & tour the ship during the day.

Back
Top Bottom