Oakville Wreck Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You obviously missed my point. I can only speak for myself but I do not care for the bullshit that seems to be flowing here right now. I do not care whose boat I am on or who owns the morring. I only expect that I will be taken somewhere and allowed to dive my dive. All that you guys are achieving with this thread is to show your distaste for each other. Other than that, what is the point? You are not helping anybody in any way. This is a "public" board so you can obviously continue, but it makes you ALL look bad IMO. Not just Rob.

Huh?

An Owner's Guide to Private Buoys(TP 14799) - Marine Safety Publications - Marine Safety - Transport Canada

If Rob is compliant with all these regulations and has an approved application then the mooring is legal and his. You will note that all SOS sites have proper PRIV mooring buoys and have approval for each one. Notice to shipping must be sent in. SOS is also required to maintain these buoys as well and there is a liability obligation so Insurance is a must.

As far as kicking a boater off your mooring you would have to alert authorities and then wait for the laugh. Ramming is not an option :D

You are not helping anybody in any way. This is a "public" board so you can obviously continue, but it makes you ALL look bad IMO.

I would think it is helping for folks to actually read the regulations and requirements of a Private Mooring as this seems to have fueled some of the fire.

If you realy don't care then it is a moot point with you.

I have no clue who Rob is. Never sailed with him. As far as operation of his vessel in this case (as he described it) he is WRONG and operating his vessel improperly PERIOD.

My point to you Scubasteve is that what or why a Lawyer would be required in any shape or fashion and for the PUBLIC (as this is a PUBLIC Forum) to know where to go and get the proper information and regulations regarding the installation and maintenance of a private mooring.

If I have to look bad to get a few people to go and read the regulations then fine, I don't care.

The BS really flies on the water when a bunch of weekend boaters, divers, fishermen or small charter operators who have no clue or very little concern as to the safe operation, maintenance and regulations go out and kill or get killed over stupid stuff.

Quite frankly, any "professional operator" that collides with another moored vessel is not being professional what so ever.

If all you care about when you board a vessel is that you are taken to "dive your dive" then I hope you are not killed in an accident by some operator who takes you for "money your money".

Tobermory got a big kick in the ass and perhaps its time for all the other operations.

If all you care about when you board a vessel is that you are taken to "dive your dive" then I hope you are not killed in an accident by some operator who takes you for "money your money".

Tobermory got a big kick in the ass and perhaps its time for all the other operations.

:huh: I am ignoring the rest of what you wrote because I have no interest in bickering with you over regulations and lawyers and other semantics. But I will say this part as quoted confused me. What exactly are you trying to say?

If you, as a diver, just care about getting taken to the site and allowed to dive your dive and are not educated in, properly shown and demonstrated to the proper safety devices on board for your use in an emergency.......if you yourself are not interested in the the safety regulations and rules of the waterways......if you just want to dive your dive and are trusting the Charter to handle the rest then I wish you all the best and hope nothing goes wrong

Tobermory was operating pretty shoddy, using divers as crew, badly maintained vessels etc....not all operations and some were not in the dive game.....couple deaths......WHAM out comes the stick

OK then perhaps I chose to use too few words not thinking that I would be taken 100% literally because that point was NOT the point of my post. You obviously intended to take every word literally....my mistake. Next time I will try to use wording that will allow a "literal" thought process to not read into what I am saying. I will continue diving safely (contrary to your obvious perception) and allow you to argue or moorings.

If you, as a diver, just care about getting taken to the site and allowed to dive your dive and are not educated in, properly shown and demonstrated to the proper safety devices on board for your use in an emergency.......if you yourself are not interested in the the safety regulations and rules of the waterways......if you just want to dive your dive and are trusting the Charter to handle the rest then I wish you all the best and hope nothing goes wrong

Tobermory was operating pretty shoddy, using divers as crew, badly maintained vessels etc....not all operations and some were not in the dive game.....couple deaths......WHAM out comes the stick

Horn, when you say Tobermory, I think you're referring to the True North sinking? Your point that operators need to follow safety regulations is a fair one. The passengers who boarded the True North had no idea that the boat was deficient.

Transportation Safety Board of Canada | Marine
"On 16 June 2000, while returning to Tobermory, Ontario, from Flowerpot Island, Georgian Bay, Ontario, in moderate sea and weather conditions, [rough weather for a vessel of this size] the small passenger vessel "TRUE NORTH II" was swamped by a series of waves which smashed in the vessel's bridge front door, flooded the main deck and downflooded into the hull. The vessel sank rapidly in 15 metres of water approximately 200 metres off Flowerpot Island at about 1030 local time. Of the 20 people on board, 18 drifted ashore on two buoyant apparatus. Two grade-seven school children drowned."

"In its investigation into this fatal accident the Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB) found that modifications to this vessel had compromised its watertight integrity, life-saving equipment was not readily available, and there was only one crew member when two were required. Over the years, none of these and other deficiencies were noted in regulatory inspections."

"The sinking of the 'TRUE NORTH II' was one of those situations where many things were wrong. No one thing alone would have caused the accident, but all of them together created a disaster."

Well time to post unfortunately;

Now that we had a miscommunication/accident/attempted ramming or what ever it's being called at this time now. Why not have someone in the Toronto/Oakville area take the lead into making a boat plan for coming to the moorings IE ethics, procedures, policies and email them to the shops/operators for approvals and see if that helps in avoiding future problems

perhaps maybe

Hey all. The reason I posted was because I was at the site when the incident occurred, and thought it unfair that people were commenting without knowing all the facts. I appreciate people pointing out the importance of safey, but people like "The Horn" only prove my point. He may be an expert, but he was not there. And I like the way he has now labelled the contact between the vessels as a ramming. Next he'll have Rob convicted of mass murder. I appreciate his expertise and experience, but he comes across as a bit of an arrogant ass. And if you want to show how smart you are, and admit you can be condescending, learn how to spell condescending.

You have posted the best point thus far. Thanks for the level head. I hope people take up the challenge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom