Oahu in April?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

covediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi Everyone:

I may be coming to Honolulu in April for a short vacation. What is the diving like that itme of the year and what do you recommend? I know it is kind of an open-ended question. While I am an very experienced diver, I have not been to Hawaii and will most likely be diving as a single. Basic diving is still fun for me, but I don't like being looked after. Boat or beach diving, its all the same to me, although I may not have a car and would depend upon dive operator pickup (which I understand some operations offer). Figured the best thing to do is ask the locals about boats, shops, etc. Any insights would be appreciated.

Glad you asked! I will be in Oahu in April, too. Half of my trip will be on the North Shore, which I hear is too crazy to dive during that time. The other half we will be on Waikiki. I did find a number of posts with some dive op recommendations by doing a search. I will post my findings if I can find them again. :)

P.S. I did read the thread on who to dive with in Oahu and a few others. Not looking to reinvigorate those discussions as they are all very informative.

I will be there in the first two weeks of April as well. Staying on Oahu the first night (Waikiki) but then headed to the Big Island to try our luck in seeing the Mantas, then over to Maui for a week too - dive at Reefs end / Lanai if possible. I too would like to know about water temp., usaul sunshine/rain% as well as typical surf conditions as we may try some shore dives along with boat dives. What can we expect?? I'm hoping a 3mm with a beanie will be warm enough, I've been to Maui previously in June, water temp 78 and the 3mm. was plenty good.

Anyone??, Anyone.....Beular, Beular...

An early welcome to all of you! April is such an iffy time here. It's just following the "rainy season" which may not even mean anything, or it could mean everything! Last year between March and April it rained for 41 days straight and we had "brown water" warnings all over the island (like we did a couple of days ago), but this year was just the opposite, almost no rain. North Shore is unpredictable at that time, you may have a day or two of nice flat conditions, or you may not... Boat diving is probably your safest bet, so that you're not having to check the surf report every day to see if conditions are diveable on the shores.

A 3mm should be great, I dive a 2mm shorty and that's all I need unless I'm night diving.

Go to oceanconcepts.com they do alot of diving trips

everything crab lover said is right on. An early Aloha to you all!

BigBadDiver, sorry but I am really curious. Since 97% of your posts say pretty much what your last one said, do you work for OC? If so could you please qualify your posts as such...thanks.

Anyways, a 3mm works for most people..however I do know extremely skinny individuals that do wear 7mm around here year around. Just depends on your comfort level.

As far as dive ops here go, I have been out with Aaron's in Kailua and they are GREAT. Will be diving with Kaimana Divers Saturday and expect to have a great time (otherwise I will very disappointed scottitheduck...:) ). I know people who like Island Divers, but I haven't had good experiences with the sales staff, so I shy away from them personally. I can't say that I have heard of any one dive op here that has had a consistent "bad" rating, mostly bad individual experiences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom