O2 safe Teflon tape?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was advised my the PO to use O2 safe Teflon tape to seal a H2O monitoring sight port that sits between the filter stack and back pressure valve

I'm never going to go past EAN36, why is this different than servicing a first stage that is not O2 clean?

Teflon tape for gases tend to be significantly thicker making them more suitable for high pressure. The O2 safe tape has been certified for O2 but that probably isn't as important in that application as the first property..

Wrap multiple layers?

Teflon tape actually has 2 purposes
1) Provides a small amount of sealing for gases & liquids between threads
2) Allows proper slippage of threads to provide torque of fittings without galling the threads.

But sealing is not the primary function of teflon tape, accurate thread torque is.
Sealing is the function of Orings & Gaskets.

O2 safe teflon, is the roll that I didn't get touched with oily hands.😀
In oxygen hackers he says it's suppose to be wrapped so only a small amount on the front of the fitting is is exposed. Make sure you wrap the right way,
Don't use the really cheap thin stuff, and I don't like the thick stuff (like gas tape)
Roll it on turning it cw like its threading into a fitting. Pull it tight enough so it pulls into the thread, 2-4 turns, usually

Thanks. No gaskets or O-rings on the compressor fittings. What I’m hearing is there is really nothing that different than servicing first stages

I picked up a couple rolls of it off the jungle website. Fairly cheap, thicker than the hardware store stuff. It's green as well.

Next we can go down the road of teflon tape is only for tapered pipe fittings, not generic plumbing that is sealed with O-rings, gaskets, or tapered seats (tapered seats are different than tapered threads)

Thanks. No gaskets or O-rings on the compressor fittings. What I’m hearing is there is really nothing that different than servicing first stages
If your SA-3 goes back into production I can assure you it will have O-rings on all the compressor fittings.
Both Inlet and outlet fittings for the heads and the separators.

Specifically a 7/16" and a 9/16" SAE Thread on the Positionable elbows and straights for the 3/8" and the 7/16" thread for the 1/4" and 3/16" tubes

That way you the end user can position the elbows exactly where they need to go without the need to judge the number of tape wraps or the tape thickness required to get it both sealing and positioned exactly where you need it to be without over or under tightening.

And that takes experience and know how.

I picked up a couple rolls of it off the jungle website. Fairly cheap, thicker than the hardware store stuff. It's green as well.

Next we can go down the road of teflon tape is only for tapered pipe fittings, not generic plumbing that is sealed with O-rings, gaskets, or tapered seats (tapered seats are different than tapered threads)

Three types of general PTFE tape used for diving and scuba compressors but only one for oxygen.

1. In the commercial and Military diving industry for professionals the tape type used is Tube Tape.
2. Next down the list used for the general recreational scuba compressors the tape used is Pipe Tape
3. Then last on the list is the junk used in Italy China and Turkey compressors its called Plumbers Tape

Some may disagree as I have left a number of countries out of the list to avoid upset.
If you feel your county has been omitted let me know and I would be happy to include America to the list. LOL

But the offshoot with this is that there is no such thing as oxygen tape its marketing lies and deception to an ignorant and gullible market.

By way of example for all the high pressure oxygen compressors that I have build for European market the PTFE tape used is always certified and BAM tested with a certificate of test approved for oxygen service to the service pressure and temperature. And for the American market its similar but under ASTM

We have gas tape in Canada. Its ment for natural gas /propane,
it's very thick tape, personally I don't like it, it's hard to pull into the theads when winding it on, especially when its cooler.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom