Question Adjustable Regulators for O2 Use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 of these;

Does anyone know if they can be used / cleaned for O2? Maybe a rebuild kit that's good for O2? I know they sell O2 ready regulators, but I don't really want to spend more if I don't have to.

My plan is to use one specifically for O2 PP blending mixtures higher than what my stick can do through the compressor (so really anything higher than ~ 40%). My end goal would be to set the regulator at whatever psi is needed for whatever mix I'm shooting for and open the needle valve so it's slow as a snail getting to where it needs to go. I'd like to do other things while filling with O2 then sit there and babysit the gauge as it s-l-o-w-l-y creeps up to desired pressure.

I don't PP blend all that often, but when I do it's a painstakingly slow process.

Is this a bad idea? If so why? I have very limited experience with using a regulator, but since I have 2 I'd like to put them both to good use (the other is in my fill panel).

I was told go slow @ 60 psi / minute, so filling any size tank for 50% @ 3000psi (to 1101psi) should take 18 min. 70% would be 31 min.

Just looking to make life easier and prevent myself from overfilling. It hasn't happened yet, but I'm sure there will come a day when something pops us and I get distracted.

It would be great to slow it down to 30 psi / minute and come back an hr later.... that would be ideal.

I have 2 of these;

Does anyone know if they can be used / cleaned for O2?

No and No read the label. As they are fully aluminium both body and wetted parts with a 1/4 NPT taper thread again both inlet and outlet into aluminium this makes them suitable only for breathing air.

For oxygen service you need to change the "wetted parts" from aluminium to brass in addition to cleaning.
Although the main body housing holding the main spring can be aluminium but the lower wetted parts (ie those parts that see high pressure oxygen and reduced pressure but with a high pressure drop and high velocity speed need to be made from brass)

That option is around $100 more than the standard regulator.

Bummer.. but that's why I ask

Why don't you use a cutting torch regulator?
Depending on what pressures you are trying to get to...
I have added shims under the spring...
I know everyone is going to go nuts....

Why don't you use a cutting torch regulator?
Depending on what pressures you are trying to get to...
I have added shims under the spring...
I know everyone is going to go nuts....

I guess that would work equally as well if not better huh... I got so caught up in banks, and compressors, and fittings, and whips I never though of it.

Some are good for fairly high pressures,

Nitrogen regulators go quite high for AC testing, probably not much different, just not o2 cleaned
We have a ton of regs at the shop.. I'm sure I could make something work. Great idea.. especially when it means nothing has to come out of pocket:)

Simple idea it's not automatic, but how about using one of these,

C$ 40.09 20%OFF | 1PCS High Quality Hydraulic Pressure Switch JCS-02H JCS-02N JCS-02NL JCS-02NLL Relay H#

With a battery and a beeper or buzzer that's really loud,

I use that's switch on my electric over hydraulic air booster, can set any cutout I want..

Back
Top Bottom