O2 fill whip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm gearing up for 100% O2 and I have access to cheap O2 as a gas dealer for praxair but I'm unsure what to do to fill my tanks off the banks. I have 200bar DIN valves on my diving cylinders and the tread looks similar on the K cylinders but I am not sure. all I intend to do is trans-fill with a straight whip and no booster that way I will just get the top off each new cylinder and use the rest for the torch. (I am using welding grade O2 and dont need to argue that today)

SO I guess what I am asking is what do I need to buy to adapt a DIN equalizing whip to a K size O2 cylinder. Thanks.

Being a gas dealer I would think you should know the answer, you need buy the correct fittings. Unless you push a desk and shake hands all day. In that case you really need to understand what your playing with. Welding O2 systems and diving systems are apples and oranges. After the reg your welding O2 may but 40 psi, if that. Diving we are talking up to 2600 PSI striaght out of a bottle.

I would suggest buying the Oxy Hackers book. Lots of good info in there on handling and transfilling. I would also talk to the locals and see if you can get some hands on training.

What ever you do, DON'T use ANY carbon steels in an high pressure O2 system, use only stainless and brass fittings that are rated for the pressures you are using. Its easy to start an O2 fire, its almost impossible to put one out.

I know all about High pressure O2 I just want to know what size adapters I need for the fittings, I have an O2 clean whip (DIN on both ends), O2 clean tank, O2 clean regs (dont have the 1st stage yet), proper stickers and all that jaz. I have the gas and I am a welder and I know my threads and sizes for american standard stuff but dont know much about the thread patterns on tanks and I have never wanted or needed to investigate the subject until now.

The Oxygen tank uses a CGA 540 fitting. You know where I found that information? In my Praxair catalog :wink:

thanks, Just cause all I do is call the praxair rep for gas so I never need a catalog and I couldn't pull up that page on their site yesterday. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom