O2 cleaning question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been miss quoted enough by people trying to avoid answering what should be a simple question. fire_diver says "There is a LOT more to it then that" and that this site is here for an open exchange of ideas. So enlighten me. Any dive shop owner or repair tech should be able to answer this question. Other than the usual replacement parts, parts cleaning and silicone all of which are also done with a normal overhaul what is involved in the "LOT more" that justifies being charged more? Most dive shops in the country are now into Nitrox so the "LOT more" can not be much of a trade secret. Also please do not worry if the answer is beyond my ability to understand. If it turns out to be beyond my ability to understand I will just foward your responce to the Navy Experimental Diving Unit and ask them to explain it to me. Thay are VERY good at that! Is there anyone else out there who would like to hear the answer to this question?

It's already been explained over and over.

Go troll somewhere else.

Is there anyone else out there who would like to hear the answer to this question?

Yeah, this guy on the left:

ExplorePAHistory-a0h3a7-a_349.jpg

Everyone else heard it the first 5 times

I have been miss quoted enough by people trying to avoid answering what should be a simple question. fire_diver says "There is a LOT more to it then that" and that this site is here for an open exchange of ideas. So enlighten me. Any dive shop owner or repair tech should be able to answer this question. Other than the usual replacement parts, parts cleaning and silicone all of which are also done with a normal overhaul what is involved in the "LOT more" that justifies being charged more? Most dive shops in the country are now into Nitrox so the "LOT more" can not be much of a trade secret. Also please do not worry if the answer is beyond my ability to understand. If it turns out to be beyond my ability to understand I will just foward your responce to the Navy Experimental Diving Unit and ask them to explain it to me. Thay are VERY good at that! Is there anyone else out there who would like to hear the answer to this question?

There isn't a lot more. Proper regulator work takes time a nd specialized tools to do correctly. This includes expensive lubricants designed for oxygen use. Shops charge more because people will pay more, and if you really want to understand pricing theory I suggest you get a marketing degree. However, given your inability to understand qualified experts and their reasoning on the proper and safest lubricants for oxygen use, I doubt you'd listen to a marketing Ph.D., and the tuition would be a waste. If you aren't going to listen, don't ask questions.

Heck, it would take less time to o2 clean things if I didn't have to spend so much time removing silicone grease! :wink:

Silicone was not the question and right from the start I said I did not know anything about different brands of silicone. Special tools was not the question. The same tools are used wheather the reg is air only or O2 safe. While I am sure I would never last long in a Ph.D program on any subject I do work as a sales rep so I do know BS when I hear it. Nothing you have said in any way answers the question. Last no one has identified themself as an expert though all clearly think they are.

Other than the usual replacement parts, parts cleaning and silicone all of which are also done with a normal overhaul what is involved in the "LOT more" that justifies being charged more?

Who says that shops are overcharging? Mine doesn't. If your LDS is overcharging you for oxygen cleaning service, find a new LDS to use.

To answer your question about costs, how much are the reg techs time worth? It DOES take extra time to spend with regs and valves and tanks to ensure they are actually cleaned to the specific standards for use with 100% oxygen.

I am done answering any posts from you Mr. Keller. You are a troll who is doing nothing but looking for fights in this thread. You are now on my "ignore" list.

fire_diver, Read the question again, it starts with the words "Other than". You guys have made a lot of noise every time I put up a post but NO ONE has explained the "lot more" you refer to! You have not added anything to this discustion in the way of any kind of fact. Your sole contribution so far has been to call me names and tell me I know nothing. WHAT IS THE "LOT MORE" YOU REFER TO?

Other than the usual replacement parts, parts cleaning and silicone all of which are also done with a normal overhaul what is involved in the "LOT more" that justifies being charged more?

Is there anyone else out there who would like to hear an answer to the question above? Let me know and also let me know the price difference between an air overhaul and an O2 overhaul. I have been doing my own valve and regulator repairs for the last 30 years so I do not know what the shops are charging now.

Rich,

The charges are higher because of two things.

One, the lubricant and cleaners are more expensive than petroleum lube.

Two, the O2 clean "verification" process does take time. You can't just simple green the parts and slap lube back on them. The cleaning process is multiple steps and has to be verified afterwards. If the verification shows any trace of contaminants (which is not uncommon), the cleaning and verification process is restarted.

I am a little surprised your buddies at the NEDU weren't able to explain this to you. They have all been exposed to O2 cleaning procedures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom