O2 cleaning question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Using the same service kits for a regulator or tank valve through which pure oxygen under high pressure must pass is stupid. If it's just a service and the tank/valve/regulator is going to be used with regular air or less than 40% nitrox then a regular service is fine, but anything less than a full 02 cleaning for regs and tank valves through which high pressure oxygen must pass is potentially dangerous.
C.

I edited my post above to clarify that the service kit I use is o2 compatible. That said, I have been told that as long as the o-rings are viton & seats are nylon in any service it should not matter. Is that not true?

I believe the nylon seat is one of the most suspect parts of any scuba valve, but we don't have many options.

I wonder how many dive shops/divers are equipped with "dust free room" in order to carry out O2 cleaning?

I'll throw in a couple cents here...

We use Sherwood Bruts as our rental regs... As such, I repair and service them quite often... Typically I'll do just one stage at a time, and these guys are never used with anything more than 36% Nitrox. Very reliable, very simple regs. Hardly anything to them really. Now, I don't know if one can even be made Oxygen safe, however, if we are talking a time difference in service as a justification for price differences, then yes, most definitely.

I can fully service (replace every O-ring, the dust filter, and replace the high pressure seat). While doing this, I'll have everything soak in a 50/50 vinegar/water solution. Typically, it takes me about a minute to a minute and a half to disassemble one completely. I'll strip the o-rings, dump everything in the 50/50 solution, and walk away while I fill a tank or two of nitrox (partial pressure blended). When I come back, 10 minutes later, I take a toothbrush to the reg, scrub a little to make sure all the corrosion is off of everything, and then I rinse well in plain water. Use the air hose to dry off everything, and inspect closely. Reassemble with all new o-rings, seat, etc, and test the intermediate pressure - this whole process has taken 15 minutes, which included 10 minutes in the middle I got to walk away and do something else.

Now, if I was to O2 clean this same reg, instead of walking away for 10 minutes while the stuff soaked, I would have spent that 10 minutes cleaning, in fact, most likely, I would have spent more like 45 minutes cleaning, and the solution I used would have cost more than $2.00 per gallon, in fact more like $30 per gallon.

Do we see why it costs more yet?

James R- apologies for calling you stupid - and no worries about the post modification - thanks

Given that I do this sort of stuff for a living, I tend to bite when people accuse of us ripping them off - for sure it happens, but in the majority of cases, expenses incurred are honestly passed onto the customer. My daily wage for pumping trimix tanks in Thailand was substantially less than what other posters here have claimed to have been charged for a single nitrox fill.

Sorry folks if I have caused offence - but please understand there is a lot of work involved, and - depending on the environment in which you dive - a premium must be applied.

Thanks for your understanding

C.

Fighting amongst ourselves is exactly what Mr. Keller wants. Don't fall for the trolls trap.

It is more work to properly 02 service and clean regulators, tanks and valves, but one thing that i haven't seen in this thread is the responsibility of the dive shop if some thing were to happen while filling a tank or using your regulator with a high 02 mix. The dive shop and tech that did the work would be legally responsible for any damages, death or injuries and because of this insurance is not cheep...

It is more work to properly 02 service and clean regulators, tanks and valves, but one thing that i haven't seen in this thread is the responsibility of the dive shop if some thing were to happen while filling a tank or using your regulator with a high 02 mix. The dive shop and tech that did the work would be legally responsible for any damages, death or injuries and because of this insurance is not cheep...

not completely true...

by definition, something is only O2 clean at the time it was cleaned, and as soon as it is used, it is not certified O2 clean anymore...

in theory, so long as you are using oxygen compatible air, you are good, but, just one misplaced finger on a dust cap or tank valve, and you have introduced oily residue...

same thing goes for visual inspections... all we can do is verify what the current state of the gear is in, anything that happens in the future is beyond our control...

JahJahwarrior, While I have said that this was nothing but a rip off and that people were distorting what I said and not telling the whole truth and implying there was more to O2 cleaning then would be done in a normal overhaul I never called anyone a thief or a lier or any other name. The only ones calling people names here so far have been you and fire_diver.

I'll give you the short story on my end. I am an active repair tech and have been for over 10 years. I clean every reg the same way, I use Christolube on every reg for rebuild and they work fine for normal EANx. The reason I charge extra for O2 clean regs is I by O2 compatible parts and O'rings for them from the factory. They charge me more for parts, I charge you more for parts. Now if somethings happens and your people contact my people I have a good defense and PROOF that I was doing it "By the Book". Oh and btw, I only charge a few dollars extra for the labor of regular service rebuild vs O2 clean rebuild. It's the parts that cost.

Back
Top Bottom