O2 cleaning question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, what would you consider to be the established term or terms to what we are trying to avoide by oxygen servicing our tank and reg

Ok, what would you consider to be the established term or terms to what we are trying to avoide by oxygen servicing our tank and reg

"Kablooey." verb. The spontaneous catastrophic disassembly of something you wanted to keep in one piece.

knowone

Not to divert the thread, but, I love that reg. as simple as you can get! :D

Like Me :D

USD Aquarius, first reg I ever used, not this particular one
or with a seven foot hose. I think it's an unbalanced piston.

Time for an EPDM O2 compatible lube job me thinks.

icon14.gif

Let me try this again, I will type slower, break down the sentence into smaller, easier to understand parts and explain in detail each part. First "I do not know the name brand Christolube" Now that seems easy to understand so how do you get from that part of the statement that I know or am saying anything about this product? For those having trouble following even that I will break it down further "I do not know" Second "check the label and you should find it is 100% silicone." I will admit this is a little harder to follow and if you did not get the "I do not know" part you may as well stop reading now. I told him what he "should find" NOT what he would find. Now if your still here let me explain what I also do not know, I do not know the name brand of any silicone grease, all I look for is that it is 100% silicone. This is simple stuff made more complicated by the people trying to sell you these products. While I am sure that giles45shop could tell you the merits of one 100% silicone grease over the other I will settle for the 100% part and leave it at that. I think the real issue with him, as in the "shop" part of his handle and fire_diver who has his shop link at the bottom of every message is that they have product to sell you and you need to buy this BS in order for them to sell you that product. I have nothing to sell you! Look up saturation diving and the risks before you dismiss what I have to say. Again I will break this down a bit "look up" this is something thay have not asked you to do, thay would rather you just do as you are told!

Geez, I hate to have a battle of wits with someone who is obviously unarmed, but here goes:

I'll try and break it down for you as well and use things called "carriage returns" so that it makes it easier to read:

1. Saying you don't know the brand "Cristolube" is akin to a real diver saying they don't know the brand "ScubaPro". If you really knew anything about oygen cleaning, you would know the name Christolube.

2. NONE of the products I listed contain ANY silicone. As was mentioned multiple times by other posters these are fluorinated greases. This means they contain a fluorine (F) molecule, not a silicone (Si) molecule.

3. I'm not trying to tell you the benefits of one fluorinated grease over another, just listing brand names of some very common oxygen compatible lubricants. I believe that MOSt people use one of these FLUORINATED greases as opposed to a 100% silicone.

4. You statements about the only reason for using Simple Green is to remove corrosion from regulator parts is just so wrong, I don't even know where to begin. Perhaps you should read up on the NOAA manual (ever heard of NOAA?) or other technical diving publications (Oxygen Hackers Companion, US Navy, etc.) where details of how to clean components for oxygen service are discussed in far greater detail. As has been said by others, the purpose of oxygen cleaning is to remove residual hydrocarbons which can combust in the presence of high pressure oxygen.

5. I'm not trying to sell anything, just trying to point out that your recommendations are off base, possibly dangerous and not consistent with general practices for oxygen cleaning.

6. The "shop" in my screen name has absolutely nothing to do with SCUBA or selling anything. If you do a little research on bullseye target shooting using the first part of my screen name, you'll find out who my father was. The screen name is used in his honor.

7. I know what saturation diving is, but what does that have to do with your knowledge about oxygen cleaning? Can you cite some papers or references that specifically discuss your position on oxygen cleaning? Perhaps posting your curiculum vitae would help people get a better idea of your qualifications?

Hope this helps you to understand why there are so many people who disagree with you here and are trying to help you and anyone else reading this thread to not follow bad advice.

Thanks,

John

Well a listing of the entire dictionary would be far too time consuming, but for the ones listed so far:

Oxygen: A periodic element that is needed to sustain human life within specific amounts. It is impossible for oxygen to "burn"

Oxidizer: Normally refers to a chemical which aids in the oxidation of another element or chemical. Oxygen can also be the oxidizer.

Burn: the rapid oxidation of a substance, resulting in the release of energy in the forms of heat and light. The process is self sustaining.

Flashover: a firefighting term used to describe a condition where an entire space is sufficiently heated to cause instant combustion of all flammable contents in that space.

Oxygen clean: Removing all traces of hydrocarbons and organics which would present an unsafe danger of combustion in the presence of high pressure of pure oxygen.

final note, NASA tests of oxygen compatibility and transfer has shown that even stainless steel can spontaneously combust when subjected to sufficient pressures of oxygen, although for the use of divers and filling scuba tanks it is considered safe.

double post

quadruple post? Can a mod clean these up, WTH is going on with SB today?

"Kablooey." verb. The spontaneous catastrophic disassembly of something you wanted to keep in one piece.

LOVE it! I think I'm going to steal that definition. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom