O2 cleaning question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bin usin this rig fer surface breathin post deco, b/ween dives
n fer drivin home n fer resuscitation bout 20 yrs now.
Reg aint bin opend ner cleened fer a few. Bit slack.
Keep it in a kleen case.

P10102063.JPG

Nitrile and silicone grease, not silicone filled.

:wham: to the mental hospital? May be.

Open ALL valves slowly and try not to knock things over.

Too much grease no matter its chemical component is
slopped around valves and regs in unnecessary crevices anyways.

Service your own stuff more frequently with less grease.
Why breathe more millimicrons of grease than you have to.

The manufacturers of things are very good at forming gangs
WITH THEIR FACTS.

And people think that headaches only come from breathing and exertion.

Ow's yer crap buildup in yer O2 cleen rubber oses goin?

At the risk of igniting even more controversy, I think that you don't quite understand silicone chemistry............(edited for space) but in general silicone materials are no where near as dangerous as you suggest.

No ignition and definitely not insulting on my end. My point, and as usual not clearly defined, was not all silicones are safe for oxygen use.

I even stated, as you point out, there are silicone products that ARE the preferred product. There are several membranes for oxygen use that are actually better than their counterparts. The Chemistry is the key.

Believe me, I could never understand anything as well as I would like, so please continue to share what you have and I will listen and learn what I can.

knowone

Not to divert the thread, but, I love that reg. as simple as you can get! :D

jahjahwarrior, What part of "I do not know the brand Christolube" did you not understand? Also silicone is the ONLY thing to be used around oxygen! Try what I suggested earlier. Stop just blindly believing everything the dive shop people tell you and look it up!

fire_diver, I never said anything about this web site either good or bad! Changing the subject will not change the facts. Try to find someone who can read to you what I have said and explain it to you in simpler, smaller words then I can seem to find.

Hallmac, Oxygen dose burn that is what I meant by the term "flash over". By the way that is what having an O2 safe regulator and tank valve is meant to prevent. Sorry I will try to keep it simpler from now on so you and fire_diver can follow along. In fact more then just petroleum products can cause a flash over. In a sat chamber we could not have anything that would even cause a static charge. The simple act of touching you finger to something that caused a static release was enough to set fire to all the oxygen in the chamber.

rjack321, I can not edit what has already been posted nor would I as I stand behind every word I said.

As for different types of silicone and microscopic traces of hydrocarbons you are majoring on the minor. What I have yet to hear from anyone here is what is involved in this miraculous if not down right mystical O2 cleaning process. Look at the parts list for your regulator or tank valve, factor out what is replaced during an overhaul and what you have left are parts that are nonreactive to oxygen. As I promised I will make that last statement simpler for those having trouble following along. Once you remove the overhaul parts there is NOTHING else there that can cause a problem!

jahjahwarrior, What part of "I do not know the brand Christolube" did you not understand? Also silicone is the ONLY thing to be used around oxygen! Try what I suggested earlier. Stop just blindly believing everything the dive shop people tell you and look it up!

If you don't know what Christolube is, then DON'T come on here telling people that it is silicone. Christolube is NOT silicone, and you clearly said that if you look into it, you should find that it IS. You were wrong.

I don't know where you come up with this idea that silicone is the only oxygen safe lubricant. I'm sorry, but I've seen lots of people who have given me far more reasons to believe them, who have told me that Christolube or Tribolube are much preferred for oxygen environments.

You also seem confused on the terms "flash over," "burn," and "oxidizer." Oxygen does not burn, but does support combustion.

Oxygen cleaning is NOT some mythical process. It's very, very simple. Step 1: remove all hydrocarbons Step 2: reassemble with proper orings and safe lubricants, without introducing hydrocarbons.

Why do some shops charge a lot extra for this service? Because they can get away with it in many instances. Also, the overhead isn't cheap, a high quality sonic cleaner can cost well over $600, and Blue Gold is $30 per quart (or something like that, I use Simple Green) If you don't like it, then don't pay for it, but don't expect someone like me to fill your tank if you announce to me that you have thoroughly coated the tank and valve with silicone grease.

fire_diver, I never said anything about this web site either good or bad! Changing the subject will not change the facts. Try to find someone who can read to you what I have said and explain it to you in simpler, smaller words then I can seem to find.

No, you just claimed it was MY SHOP, and that I was not telling the truth because I had something to sell FROM MY SHOP. Now you say I am changing the subject by pointing out that it's not a SHOP or MINE. :idk:

You FAIL again. :dork2:

This is fun, what else you got :popcorn:

Hallmac, Oxygen dose burn that is what I meant by the term "flash over". By the way that is what having an O2 safe regulator and tank valve is meant to prevent. Sorry I will try to keep it simpler from now on so you and fire_diver can follow along. In fact more then just petroleum products can cause a flash over. In a sat chamber we could not have anything that would even cause a static charge. The simple act of touching you finger to something that caused a static release was enough to set fire to all the oxygen in the chamber.

Your words prove that you know absolutely nothing about oxygen cleaning, OR commercial diving. I doubt you are even a diver.

You also seem confused on the terms "flash over," "burn," and "oxidizer." Oxygen does not burn, but does support combustion.

Dose it really matter what word we use ( flash over, burn, oxidizer) in the context of this thread, it all describes what we are trying to avoid by oxygen cleaning our tank and reg.
:) Ian

Dose it really matter what word we use ( flash over, burn, oxidizer) in the context of this thread, it all describes what we are trying to avoid by oxygen cleaning our tank and reg.
:) Ian

Specific words are very important. There are established terms that specificaly describe a certain event or condition. Using the wrong term creates confusion and shows an unfamiliarity with the subject you are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom