O2 Cleaning Before Setting Up Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kramynot2000

Reaction score
I'm having a couple of HP80s set up as doubles. I plan on using them with nitrox but haven't taken a course yet. Should I get these O2 cleaned now while I'm having my LDS install the manifold or is that something that can be done afterwards? I don't really know what is involved in the process. I have a couple of other tanks so I can have these tanks wait a little until I complete a nitrox course so that's not a problem. I just don't want to have to bring the tanks back and have them disassemble them, clean them, and reassemble them if that is what they need to do to clean them.

Thanks,

kramynot2000 once bubbled...
Should I get these O2 cleaned now while I'm having my LDS install the manifold or is that something that can be done afterwards

I would have them do it now while the tanks are all apart. They'll have to take them apart to O2 clean them afterwards. You could probably use the doubles before your nitrox class anyway. They can put in clean air [21% EAN] which you shouldn't require a nitrox card for]. Then when you've finished your class you can start getting nitrox mixes right away.

..if you want to learn a lot more about nitrox and o2 cleaning, pick up a copy of the Oxygen Hacker's Companion (www.airspeedpress.com). Much better than any nitrox class or manual, IMO..

O-ring once bubbled...
..if you want to learn a lot more about nitrox and o2 cleaning, pick up a copy of the Oxygen Hacker's Companion (www.airspeedpress.com). Much better than any nitrox class or manual, IMO..

O.K...hypothetical question...

Let's say I buy that thing (which I am probably going to do) and decide I want to O2 clean my tanks myself (when I buy tanks I probably will). Is the LDS going to pp fill for EANx if they don't do the cleaning themselves...or are they going to tell me my home methods aren't as good as their's.

BTW...the little bit I read on the site from the book is more than I have ever been told about O2 cleaning...so I might be getting this book pretty soon...just to have.

One problem that I foresee is that if you O2 clean your own tanks then you won't have O2 clean visual type stickers and they LDS would be taking your word for it that they are clean. Not unless you have access to stickers.

The book is worth its weight in gold, IMO. I have read it cover to cover at least twice and use it as a reference all the time.

There are, uhhhh, subtle nuances :D to o2 cleaning your own tanks. How it has worked for us is to know the people at our LDS really well. Once they figure out that you have a clue and aren't some nickel rocket trying to save a couple bucks and endanger their employees they will be cool with it.

Access to o2 stickers is a necessity and is, IMO, one of the hardest parts of doing it yourself.

Kramyknot2000,
Let the LDS do the cleaning. That way the tanks will be stickered and you will have your doubles. In the meantime you can learn how to clean tanks and do it next time around. Cleaning tanks isn't difficult, but it needs to be done correctly. If you're get the tanks and manifold from the LDS, have them do the cleaning as part of the deal. Invest your energy in learning how to dive your doubles.
Dive Safe,
Larry

O-ring once bubbled...
Once they figure out that you have a clue and aren't some nickel rocket trying to save a couple bucks and endanger

That is going to be a tough selll.....but I guess since no shop here even pp fills, then I don't have to worry much...but i can make stickers...in 15 months I will have a 2 year old who wants to color

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

That is going to be a tough selll.....but I guess since no shop here even pp fills, then I don't have to worry much...but i can make stickers...in 15 months I will have a 2 year old who wants to color
You can make stickers...that's another option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom