o2 cleaned tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamarcp

Registered
Reaction score
I just bought 2 new lp108 tanks and they were o2 cleand and was wondering if you can use them for both nitrox and air i have heard to many different answers any info would be great, thanks

Use only air from a shop that does partial pressure fills as they'd use the hyperclean air to fill it. If you alternate between non-hypercleaned air and nitrox (partial pressure method), the filler is at risk for an explosion/fire when he adds the oxygen to the tank. It's really not fair to expose someone to a risk like that without telling them.

scubamarcp:
I just bought 2 new lp108 tanks and they were o2 cleand and was wondering if you can use them for both nitrox and air i have heard to many different answers any info would be great, thanks

As soon as you fill the tank with normal air you lose its O2 clean rating and it will have to be O2 cleaned again before PPB of nitox.
My LDS says it costs him $2.50nz per fill to use the extra filter needed to fill an O2 clean tank with air. So instead of $3 a fill for air its $5.50 for a "clean air" fill and $20 for a nitrox fill plus $50 for a O2 clean.

Packhorse:
As soon as you fill the tank with normal air you lose its O2 clean rating and it will have to be O2 cleaned again before PPB of nitox.
My LDS says it costs him $2.50nz per fill to use the extra filter needed to fill an O2 clean tank with air. So instead of $3 a fill for air its $5.50 for a "clean air" fill and $20 for a nitrox fill plus $50 for a O2 clean.

That sounds like BS. I'll bet if you walked back there, they come out of the same bank.

scubamarcp:
thanks alot guys for the info ,so if i use only hypercleaned air i can go back and forth to nitrox and air.

You got it,,,,you may use either AIR or NITROX in your O2 clean tanks as long as the gas is processed thru a hyperfilter prior to entering your tank,,,so you can get fills from PP station//membrane station, etc.. Also ensure your tanks are plainly marked as O2 clean, and the blender is aware of that so they don't mistakenly fill them with non cleaned gas (air or nitrox)....air that is commonly called 'scuba air' or Grade E or lower.

SparticleBrane:
That sounds like BS. I'll bet if you walked back there, they come out of the same bank.

Well you are right and your wrong.
More wrong than right though.
Yes it comes out of the same bank. but when you want nitrox or (O2 clean air) the air from the bank goes thru a second filter.
I have "walked back there" and I have seen it done.
Can you please explain how you come to this "BS" conclusion?

Hydrocarbon-free is the key phrase. If it's not hydrocarbon-free, it eliminates the o2 clean status of the tank. Not a problem if you never PPB the tanks, but can be if you do. Be careful where you fill. If they don't know what hydro-carbon free is, then walk away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom