O2 clean kits for Thermo valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got a pair of Thermo pro valves for my deco bottles, and of course if you read their warnings, you'll die if you ever put higher than 40% through their valves. They don't show an O2 safe rebuild kit on their website, so the quesion is what do you use out there? Is everyone just cleaning the valves, then rebuilding with the stock kits and Cristo-lube? Or is there some proper O2 safe valve kits out there?

Thanks,
Jim

Well both are brand new, so that answers that question. Thanks Tex

if they are new and are stamped with an E on the mfr'ing code they are already cleaner than you can make them. All components are O2 compatable.

There are reasons for the 40% limit. There is enough info out there on this. If you want to learn about high fraction O2 gas handling a public board may not be the best way to do this. A lot of people get away with things, but some do not.

The limits and standards set by the industry (CGA, NOOA and the dive indsutry - valve, tank and other manufacturers) are there so that we all can feel somewhat safe about pushing higher FO2 gasses through these devices. Blatantly ignoring these could lead to accidents and litigation.

'I read it on the board, the guy seemed knowledgeable. I followed his advise'. Lets be careful about what we advise.

'I read it on the board, the guy seemed knowledgeable. I followed his advise'. Lets be careful about what we advise.

redacted- didn't want to be "that guy" :D

if they are new and are stamped with an E on the mfr'ing code they are already cleaner than you can make them. All components are O2 compatable.

I was not aware of this. Care to elaborate what the "E" stamp constitutes?

I never said there wasn't a reason for the 40% limit, hell I know several organizations have a 23% limit for O2 safety. I just wanted to know how to ensure that these valves would be O2 safe, since Thermo has decided not to encourage O2 use at all in their products. Fortunetly Lee has answered those questions.

There are reasons for the 40% limit. There is enough info out there on this. If you want to learn about high fraction O2 gas handling a public board may not be the best way to do this. A lot of people get away with things, but some do not.

The limits and standards set by the industry (CGA, NOOA and the dive indsutry - valve, tank and other manufacturers) are there so that we all can feel somewhat safe about pushing higher FO2 gasses through these devices. Blatantly ignoring these could lead to accidents and litigation.

I never said there wasn't a reason for the 40% limit, hell I know several organizations have a 23% limit for O2 safety. I just wanted to know how to ensure that these valves would be O2 safe, since Thermo has decided not to encourage O2 use at all in their products. Fortunetly Lee has answered those questions.

Jimmer --I should have mentioned the 'E' in the code on my reply to you, my short coming......our MOD is just wanting to ensure 'we' all are aware of the 'standards'....and I for one are most def. aware....brand new Thermo valves as you described pose no harm in there use on deco bottles-IMO. There is a portion of divers though that will not use them above the industry standard of 40% 02 even brand new and already 02 clean from the factory.

I just disassemble and clean it by myself whatever the manufacture said. Of course, I am using a Simple Green, UC, and Christo-Lube. COB.

Back
Top Bottom